Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First box/project

Very nice box! Amazing after taking 35 years off!!!

Beautiful combination of woods, and you did a fantastic job on this piece - particularly being away from woodworking for that long. Great re-entry!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    I realy like the curved sides, the DT's would work a little better for my tase if they were through DT's. The handle on the tray is a very nice touch. The handle for the lid is a main attraction, you want to be as pleasing to the eye as possible.
    You've done a great job, especially being out of it so long. I look forward to your future pieces.
    Bill,
    I'll show my ignorance here a bit but what do you mean by "through DTs". A DT joint as opposed to splines?

DT = DoveTails

So in this case; through dove tails...

Did you do Splines or do the KeHoe Jig thing: http://www.dovetailspline.com/

From the picture angle it's hard to see.
    Last edited by Dennis Lopeman; 05-11-2010 at 9:21 AM. Reason: adding more

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Lopeman View Post
    DT = DoveTails

So in this case; through dove tails...

Did you do Splines or do the KeHoe Jig thing: http://www.dovetailspline.com/

From the picture angle it's hard to see.
    I built my own jig to hold the box at 45 degree to the router table and ran the whole thing through to cut the dovetail spline slots prior to rounding the sides. I rounded the sides by running it through the table saw at three different angles moving the fence an 1/8 after each cut. Sanded the edges from the cuts to complete the 'roundness'. Might be an easier way but it worked out in the end. If I do it again, I think I'd add a 4th cut at another angle to minimize the sanding.

Watch the video on that site - the link I put above - maybe that will give you some other ideas on how to knock those out faster and more efficiently.

very nice.

about criticism. I love the negative criticism, because it helps me to improve, and I know there is a lot of room for that in my work !
    MARK