Thread: CNC as a universal machine?

CNC as a universal machine?

I have no CNC experience, although I have many years of professional experience developing and using software. I would like opinions as to whether a ShopBot class machine with a 4' by 8' table could replace some other machines in a one person woodworking shop.

It seems to be that it might be possible to replace the table saw, drill press, and wood shaper (with much of its expensive tooling), but not the jointer, planer, lathe, and power sanders. Perhaps less practical for one off pieces and more practical for making many of the same item. Thoughts?

well it really depends on what you are doing with it. you can do a lot with it but it may take more time then using a traditional tool. like it is faster and more accurate to do roundovers on a router table. to get good roundovers everything has to be very flat and the thickness has to be right on. this is not always the case on stock. Making simple rips is faster on a tablesaw for the most part. I had to cut these 4.5"x7" lids from a sheet of baltic birch. it was far faster to do it on the tablesaw. took about 10 minutes on the saw and chopsaw to make 100 took about 30 on the cnc and I only got 70.
    you can joint on the cnc but it may be slower. but it does well to say jin a face then thickness plane a large piece of wood. I still use my drill press for simple holes.
    What the cnc did for me is t let me do far more in the space I have. trying to do what I do now would not have been possible. but other tools can do the job faster and better depending on what your doing.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

i could include the planer and lathe as well, sanding is possible as a cnc produces an almost sand free finish, using it for joining also, tyhe deal is "if you can hold it still you can machine it", i own a large cabinet shop and most of the fellows who work for me still use the sliders and traditional tools after i stuck the same thumb in a table saw twice in the same year so bought my camaster i pretty much leave them alone now !!

jim

I've been programing and using big woodworking CNC's for about 12 years, and I wouldn't try to replace any tools with a CNC.

There are a lot of jobs that a CNC excels at, including one off parts, but there are a lot of operations that are better served by the other machines.

At my current job, I cut all the curved mouldings and door rails, but they still get run through a shaper, unless they're either two small, or a custom knife would be needed and only a few feet are required. Keep in mind that CNC cutters can cost more than shaper cutters. Much more.

I also surface some rough glue ups that are bigger than our 24" planer.

If anything, I'd say the jointer, planer, and lathe would be the easiest to replace. Exactly the opposite of your thoughts. Although depending on what you use your lathe for, finding the right tooling may be difficult for some profiles.

Where a CNC really shines in a cabinet shop , especially for a one man shop, would be nested cutting of cabinet parts. But the associated software to do this can run into the $10,000 + range, although there are more and more inexpensive options available here. Perhaps Jim can elaborate on them if your interested.

i think gerry is refering to programs like cabinetparts pro where for 250.00 one can enter parameters and sizes of cabinets and nest on a cnc. software is enter only and has no design capacity, i also agree with steve chopsaws, drill press and other shop tools still hace thier reasons, i would tell us more about what type of work you do and there are nplenty of people here who can help you find someone in your area who woks in the same level, a visiy to a shop with a cnc would be a requirement in my book!!

jim

Use the right tool for the job.

I have a shopbot with a 4x8 table and I also have a table saw, planer, jointer, bandsaw, miter saw, drum sander, drill press, two router tables, and a whole ton of handheld/portable power tools. I use them all each and every day.

You can use a CNC router to accomplish most tasks but the material usage might be less efficient and the job would take much longer.

At the very least I would have in addition to a shopbot a portable thickness planer, and a hybrid table-saw. Add to that a jointer if you work with hardwoods anymore than on an occasion.

Some projects I use the shopbot almost entirely, others I don't use it at all.

Of course the CNC router is nice to have when it happens to be the right tool.
    Last edited by Michael Schwartz; 05-02-2010 at 3:09 PM.
    Hardware - Shopbot PRSstandard 48x96 with PC router.
    Software - Aspire 2.5, Partworks, Cut 3D, Photo V-Carve
    Open Source/Free - Inkscape, Open Office.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts. I am in the early stages of doing a business case on making all wooden baby cribs, but would like the flexibility to do work with sheet goods as well.