Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ipad's out now......

ipad's out now......

OK... 'fess up. Who's got one and what do you do with it?
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

I don't, but I want someone else to buy one so I can look over their shoulder and say, "Wow, cool!"
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

I am debating right now....its between the iPad and a new smart phone...can't justify both.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...id-incredible/

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    I bought a 64 gig itouch in January, kind of wish I would have waited for the ipad.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

Not yet. Wanted to check out the 3G version first, but I found an app, 'Air Video', which is awesome. Let's me play any movies, including Media Center recordings, that are on my PC to the iPhone. The iPad would make it even better.

I'm going to wait and see what other manufacturers bring to market and/or the 2nd generation IPad. I try to avoid first versions of when possible.

I don't care about 3G but a camera would be nice.

As for what I would use it for? Surfing! I plan on taking a trip this fall and want to shoot video and photos and post to my families blog at the end of each day. Also I can use it to show friend and relatives pictures.

I do think this device is as big a game changer as the IPod. People are still struggling with the digital concept. Having a device that serves you your newspaper and magazine subscriptions, plays movies, radio and music, pictures, email and WWW, all in a lightweight, highly portable unit will be an eye opener. I think some of the less tech savvy 'elders' will finally understand the utility of the Internet.

At least that is my opinion.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

I haven't gotten one, but I did get to play with it in the Apple store. I definitely plan on getting one. Saving up for it right now, actually. I don't know if it's for everyone, but I like to watch podcasts and stuff in bed, so that will be a lot nicer than my iPod Touch. also, I like to do electronic stuff, so It might also be nice for displaying schematics on that instead of a computer. As with Greg, I think I will probably wait for the 2nd gen, as I expect that the next gen might have a front facing camera. And even if not, let everybody else get all the kinks.
    Anybody plan on getting one?
    Last edited by Matt Walton; 04-17-2010 at 8:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    I do think this device is as big a game changer as the IPod. People are still struggling with the digital concept. Having a device that serves you your newspaper and magazine subscriptions, plays movies, radio and music, pictures, email and WWW, all in a lightweight, highly portable unit will be an eye opener. I think some of the less tech savvy 'elders' will finally understand the utility of the Internet.
    I see it as a natural evolution of the computer, but not of the main branch of the family tree... that is, content rules and wins out over the method of delivery. Until content fits onto an ipad better than a laptop, the laptop remains the main tool. Laptops and wireless cut the cords, now ipad makes the rest of the laptop optional.

I don't see the loss of the keyboard as a good thing for everyone. I'll be unlikely to learn to compose a fast email on a virtual keyboard. Maybe the 20 somethings will make it work for them.

I know some killer apps are just around the corner, but I haven't yet heard of an ipad doing something that my laptop can't - and reading a book on the beach for me will not involve checking to see if a battery is charged.

I can see it as a shop tool. A mount to hold it at a comfortable height next to the workbench would be great. The ability to annotate sketches and plans right onto the screen.... Hmmm. It'd be an extension of my laptop, not it's replacement and to use it as a dumb terminal seems wasteful of an emerging platform. I can do this now... with a real laptop with a touchscreen.
    "I love the smell of sawdust in the morning".
    Robert Duval in "Apileachips Now". - almost.

Laserpro Spirit 60W laser, Corel X3
    Missionfurnishings, Mitchell Andrus Studios, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Peterson View Post
    I'm going to wait and see what other manufacturers bring to market and/or the 2nd generation IPad. I try to avoid first versions of when possible.
    HTC is about to release an android version soon.....should be interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Morton View Post
    HTC is about to release an android version soon.....should be interesting
    I want the Evo! And I hate phones... this seems more like a computer in your pocket!

A friend dropped his off right after launch and I got to spend a few hours messing with it. The good points. First, it feels great--you hold it and you just feel like you are carrying the cutting edge. Second, for 4:3 video, like television programs via iTMS, it is fantastic to watch. Third, if you walk down the street with one, women will throw themselves at you. Seriously.

The bad points, which still--in my book--outnumber the good:

- First, I was scared of the damn thing--dropping it, that is. I suppose you get used to it, but after cracking the touchscreen on my iPhone, the iPad just felt like an accident waiting to happen.

- Second, and probably my biggest gripe... I can't type on it. I thumb type on my iPhone all the time, and one of the biggest surprises to me was that the auto correct is actually pretty good and the result of thumb typing is pretty legible. Unfortunately, I can't do it on the iPad. In portrait mode, my thumbs just don't reach across the screen. They really don't in landscape mode. That means I'm either resting the thing on something--like my lap--or holding it with one hand and typing with the other. Not good. And, the touchscreen just sucks for touch typing.

- Third, like any other 4:3 device displaying movie aspect ratios, you lose a lot of screen real estate--maybe too much--when watching movies. I thought it wouldn't be too bad, based on seeing HDTV on non-HD sets, but what I realized is that most movies these days have aspect ratios that are beyond 16:9. That means you don't get a particularly satisfying experience on the iPad.

- Fourth, it is missing the front facing video camera. It seems like it was designed for video skype, but it is missing that key feature.

If you travel a lot, I can see it for catching up on TV shows on a plane. But I still don't see how this fits into my life or the majority of people's lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Morgan View Post
    I want the Evo! And I hate phones... this seems more like a computer in your pocket!

yeah i hate phones too, but last month i tried out the HTC Eris and got sucked in, very cool. But i returned it to wait for this next week. The evo looks great, but i am tied to verizon in my neck of the woods.

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/...id-incredible/

if someone gave me one I would not complain. but I have no need for a laptop so it would be hard to justify it. my iphone does everything I need when on the go. I can't carry it in my pocket so it would have limited use.
    Steve knight
    cnc routing

I would buy one if I had the money. It's one of those devices that until you use it, you don't realize what it will do for you.

I would think it would replace a lot of personal computers because most people use the computer for surfing the internet, social networking, email, video and music. The iPad excels at all those in a nice portable device.

I have a 32 gig iPad. Fabulous Machine!!!

The company was kind enough to provide it, it serves multiple purposes accessing The Creek for Admin chores and it is the best machine I have ever seen for showing pictures and video to sign customers. Its light in my backpack and has incredible battery life. I can load PDF drawings for sign installs and leave the full sheet paper drawings back at the office. The zoom feature is fast and works well for moving around documents. I am acclimated to the keyboard already and able to use it during meetings to take notes and provide project pictures that document the status of the job. I have all of my business contact information synchronized on my workstation, iPad and mobile phone now, this puts an end to the chore of having to move information from machine to machine once and (hopefully) for all.

For me the iPad is the hot setup that removes my need for a laptop based on the kind of work I do and the functions I need. One very serious downside is the lack of an email spam blocking feature. The email app is fine for some accounts but it won't work at all for SawMill Creek mail

The mp3 feature is a nice bonus particularly with the long battery life. No worries about workshop dust and the big screen is easy on the old eyes. This coming Friday I will be traveling to the ShopBot Jamboree, no doubt my iPad will be providing music for the trip
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 04-18-2010 at 10:20 AM.