Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Warning, graphic photos!" Handheld router accident (Stupid)

Holy Hell, I bet that stung a bit!

Here's a question, did you get to enjoy the feeling of it digging in as it was winding down? Thats a surreal experience I don't care to relive.

I love a good nasty photo, keeps people on their toes.

Wow, I'm really sorry this happened. Could've been worse, as you said.

The picture is nasty, but I clicked on it! ha ha It reminds me of when I was in drivers' ed and they'd show you gruesome/gory car accidents to scare you straight.

These kinds of posts are very effective.

Last saturday I let my ring finger come into contact with my jointer blades. Yup, lost 35% of the finger pad just to the nail, got a hole all the way to the bone. Haven't smelt burning flesh before, did saturday as it was the only way to stop the bleeding was to cauterize it. The CareOne Center didn't think they could help and I'd have to hit the hospital emergency room. Its healing nicely, can still see the bone a little. Wife still almost passes out looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by George Konis View Post
    Hello all,

Didnt except to get this from a small router
    George, the small tools are the most dangerours.
    Not enough space for material support, fences and safety devices.
    A small tablesaw or a circular saw cuts as good as a cabinet saw.
    From the pictures looks like you are very lucky.

Can you post a picture of the setup going wrong for me and others
    to understand what may go wrong in similar work?

thanks.

Konis? roots of the name?

Was it a carbide or high speed steel bit? lol

Should have left the hole. It would have made a great place to put your pencil when you do layouts! lol

Hope you didn't hurt your router! lol

Hope it's your last accident and you heal up nicely.
    Reminds me of why I never bought a trim router....................NO HANDLES!

Thanks for the reminder (even though it sadly cost you). Hope you are back at it soon.

A RouterStop. That would be amusing... The stopping torque alone would prolly cause it to fly out of your hands and across the shop. But better that then what you went through.

Mike

Thanks for posting this George and I'm glad it wasn't worse. Reminders like this are good for everyone. Hope you heal quickly!

Bryan

Outstanding wound closure! Whoever sutured that really made something out of nothing. Thanks for sharing, this kind of thing always makes me triple think about safety.

Get well soon. OUCH!!
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Routers scare the hell out of me. This is why.

Closest call I ever had was when I was trying to rout flush some trim on the side of a cabinet. Didn't have nearly enough stability that I should have, and sure enough, I lost control of the router. Damaged the workpiece, but I was intact, only by Grace alone.

Thanks for sharing your lesson learned. Lots of value to the rest of us.

Cheers,
    Jesse
    "Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible." -HGR

Sometimes when I read threads like this, I think SMC should have a special forum dedicated to the subject. Only mods can promote subjects to this area (for obvious reasons, I think). It always serves other users well to be reminded that power tools can ruin your day, even when you are doing your best.

Mike (again, heal up soon!)

Tis' a mere flesh wound! Congrats on not getting yourself worse. Been there done that. You'll be back woodworking in no time.
    If a brad nailer shoots brads, and a pin nailer shoots pins, a framing nailer must shoot framers ... right?

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Blount View Post
    Oh great, now Sawstop will come out with Routerstop and I'll have to buy that too! Just kidding hope your hand is better real soon.

Loren
    I am glad I was not the only one thinking this.

Hope you heal soon!!!!