Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right tilt vs left tilt TS?

Right tilt vs left tilt TS?

I've always had left tilt table saws. That's what I'm familiar with and comfortable with. I usually work with the fence on the right side of the blade.

There's a right tilt uni-saw available in my area for $350, an older one, that appears to be in good condition. It's a right tilt.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, things to consider, etc. as I consider this saw. Pros and cons of a right tilt saw?

Thanks,
    Stephen Edwards
    Hilham, TN 38568

"Build for the joy of it!"

I've had both right and left, and like the left for edge mitering panels. I don't do those cuts very often, but the left tilt allows a full size panel to the right of the blade without "trapping" the workpice under the blade. It seems safer.

The only downside to left tilt is having the motor housing just below your left extension wing. Some clamping operations such as feather-boards may require a lower under table profile with less bulky clamps.

You'll probably get a lot of opinions - this subject has been discussed many times - but for me, it just depends on which one you like and get used to. I've used both and for the majority of my work, it doesn't matter. For a few angle cuts (meaning the blade is at an angle) I have to stop and think things through, depending on which I'm using.

I have more experience with a left tilt more and would favor that in making a purchase.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Could you get used to driving in England? If it's a good saw, buy it.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

i've used both as well. Since I use the dado blades a lot in my cabinet and furniture work I prefer the right tilt. This means that when I am cutting bevels I have to move the fence, but that is less work for me than figuring the dado thickness when setting up those cuts.

Like you, I've always used a left-tilt and don't think I could get used to a right-tilt. Maybe it's because I'm left-handed?? Dunno.

I do also feel a little safer with the blade pointing away from my hands when I'm ripping a bevel.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Edwards View Post
    I've always had left tilt table saws. That's what I'm familiar with and comfortable with. I usually work with the fence on the right side of the blade.

There's a right tilt uni-saw available in my area for $350, an older one, that appears to be in good condition. It's a right tilt.

I'd appreciate any thoughts, advice, things to consider, etc. as I consider this saw. Pros and cons of a right tilt saw?

Thanks,

I think it all depends on personal preference. I grew up using a right tilt, and feel somewhat safer using them, but I think most people have the opposite experience because left tilt is much more common. I bought a left tilt saw recently, and am slowly getting more and more comfortable with it.

Blog Entries
    Its a Ford/Chevy, Tastes Great/Less Filling sort of decision although some folks feel strongly about it. I prefer left-tilt to wrong-tilt . . . uh, I mean right-tilt saws but both are fine. Not that it means a hill-o-beans but I wouldn't consider a right-tilt saw. There is nothing wrong with them, I just prefer left-tilt. Like you say "That's what I'm familiar with and comfortable with".
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have used both and each works fine. If you are going to use a sliding table attchment, similar to a Jessem, then you might consider right-tilt so that the balde spins away from the cut on compound miters. It is also nice when it comes to using dado-cutters since you can use the tape for measurements. If you do a lot of bevel work on your tablesaw then a left-tilt might make more sense. Personally I prefer to use a router and chamfer bit for these types of cuts and not the table saw -- I do not bevel much.

Scot

My old Unisaw at work was right tilt. Made me use the fence to the left of the blade for bevel cuts,which I found awkward. My saw at home is left tilt,and for me is much easier to use,and I feel I have better control. I am left handed too.

Left handed. Left tilt. Never used anything else and never want to. I wouldn't even consider a right tilting saw. Frankly, I wouldn't take one for free.

But if you can get used to using it, $350 is a heckuva deal for a Uni.

(I tried driving on the other side of the road once. Once. The fine people of Anguilla may yet find it in their hearts to forgive me. )
    Deflation: When I was a kid, an E-ticket meant I was about to go on the ride of my life. Today, an E-ticket means a miserable ride.

There are pros and cons to both, and it really boils down to a matter of preference.

Right tilt bevels toward the fence on a standard bevel cut, which isn't as safe as if it beveled away from the fence. You can move the fence to the left of the blade for safer bevel cuts, but that makes it a non-standard operation, which is still not as safe as a bevel cut on a left tilt saw. Left tilt bevels away from the fence in a standard operation with the fence on the right of the blade, which is considered safer, but blade thickness changes skew the zero reference on the tape measure because the blade registers to the flange on the left side of the blade....this can be compensated for by recalibrating the cursor, using shims as spacers, and just measuring by hand. Blade thickness changes make no difference with a right tilt saw because the blade registers against the flange on the right edge of the blade.

The arbor nut on a right tilt saw gets applied from the left side of the blade and uses a reverse thread orientation, which is typically done with your left hand. The arbor nut on a left tilt saw goes on from the right side (easy for right handers) and uses a normal thread orientation.

I've owned both and prefer left tilt, mainly due to the arbor nut aspect.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

13. Whichever side of the saw I have the miter fence on - - - I want the saw blade to tilt away. I had a Right tilt Contractor saw for years. I'm a lefty so my miter fence is on the left side of the saw (My left hand) . And the blade leaned into the miter fence. That made for a lot of very close to the pinkies cutting.

Some folks talk about binding and the Rip Fence being the important factor. I never much noticed any binding problems. I like to have my rip fence slanting away from being parallel to the blade. That way there's no catch on the back end of the blade.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Spievak View Post
    i've used both as well. Since I use the dado blades a lot in my cabinet and furniture work I prefer the right tilt. This means that when I am cutting bevels I have to move the fence, but that is less work for me than figuring the dado thickness when setting up those cuts.
    I fix this with my left tilt with a small piece of blue painters tape. I put the fence against the stack and put the edge of the tape on the zero mark. Then, it's as simple as reading the edge of the tape.

Having had both right and left tilt, I definately prefer the left, but an old Uni for $350 - I'd make the switch if the saw is an upgrade for you.

Best situation, one of each in the shop. Short of that, personal preference. Left better for bevels mostly, right better for dados marginally. We have one right and several lefts at work, and sometimes that right tilt is just the thing. I figure I could get used to either but I bought a left tilt for my own shop. For that price I could probably get used to right pretty quick.