Thread: Dyed BAB Vase

Dyed BAB Vase

Here is the Black Ash Burl vase that was in my posting about being back. My first attempt at dyeing anything. I'm pretty happy with the outcome. I did learn a few things along the way. Dye magnifies any imperfections in the piece by at least 10. I think the next piece I do I may try something to fill some of the larger open pores in the burl. Dye was a Behlens Solar-lux. Then I wiped on a couple coats about 15 minutes later of BLO. Just enough to make it "pop" a little. Then let dry for a few days. Last was about 5 coats of MinWax Gloss Spray Lac. Sanded with 400 in between coats. If I do another one this size of BAB then I may leave it on the lathe, dye it, then do a CA finish on it. A good way to use up scraps. Vase is 4.25 x 2.75.

Very nice piece and dye job. I don't think I would fill the open pores as that really makes it stand out. I like the looks just the way it is.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

wow, that looks really cool. reminds me of coral reefr
    14x48 custom 2hp 9gear lathe
    9 inch pre 1940 craftsman lathe
    36 inch 1914 Sydney bandsaw (BEAST)
    Wood in every shelf and nook and cranny,,, seriously too much wood!

That is way cool. Could we have more info on the dying process? Color dye not human die for any smart alecks out there.
    If it ain't broke...fix it anyways...that's why you told your wife you needed all those tools.

My gramps' fav.....If you don't stop, you won't be stuck.

Oh......and most importantly........I am 362 miles mostly south and a little east of Steve Schlumpf.
    Support the Creek
    for only .0164 cents / day

Brian - I really like this! The dye highlights everything and that makes the piece really work! I've experimented with RIT dye a little and plan on trying some additional colors cause I really like how it changes everything without hiding the grain!

Nice work! I agree with Bernie - don't change your process - this works great as is!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

I am with Bernie, leave it as it is, it looks great.

wow that sure is quite nice stuff!

I like it, that is way cool! I wouldn't change it.
    Chris

Thanks guys. As for the dyeing process. I basically used SolarLux from Behlens. I ragged it on instead of brushing and rubbed it in and off as quickly as possible. I wanted to keep it light. Solarlux being an oil base I went straight to BLO. Rub it on and off as quickly as possible. I only wanted the BLO to give the eyes a "pop". I did the BLO rub 2 different times. Let dry a couple days to make sure there was no bleeding from the dye and BLO. Then 5 coats of spray lac.
    Now to practice taking pics. For some reason it doesn't look symetrical in the pic but it is. Maybe from the downward angle? I really need to get my photo tent out of the closet and learn to use it along with the camera on a tripod.