Thread: Show and Tell...first ever hand tool projects

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Show and Tell...first ever hand tool projects

I thought it would be interesting to see where people began their decline into the sensible world of hand tools... I'd love to hear your stories if you'd be willing to share.

Here's mine...

I was just browsing at the computer, not thinking much (computers are just modern tv's) when I began thinking about the origins of my woodworking interest.

It all started about 12 years ago while I was browsing some old woodworking magazines a friend passed on to me. There were all kinds of interesting articles and projects with power tools...something I wasn't too keen on jumping into...and then I came across an article about a shaker lap desk.

This thing just had all the right proportions and looked so simple at first glance. I pretty much had zero skills and about as many tools (wedding present socket set aside) but I really had a desire to build some sort of "box" using hand tools...with dovetails - I thought they looked so elegant on the lap desk.

Since I didn't need a lap desk, I asked my wife if there was anything she needed. She expressed a desire for a tea chest of some sort. I think she thought I could pretty much build anything at that point...gotta love her. So I said, "sure, no problem". I'll just need to buy a few tools.

I had no idea about used tool markets, etc...completely clueless. So I did the next best thing: off to Lee Valley. I bought a set of Marples blue chips, LV brand dovetail and small carcase saws and a few shiny brass things to embelish my work if it fell short of the mark!

The result is shown below. It's made of curly red oak and has faults - the lid is laminated of 3 pieces...not taking into account the growth ring orientation...or grain for that matter. The lid curls up every winter. Keeps me humble...and it holds tea. Success.

...and I was rummaging through some old boxes in the basement this evening and came across these old wooden sticks with metal bars on them. Anyone have a use for these?

...I still use my Marples...

Cheers,
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Louis Bois
    "and so it goes..." Kurt Vonnegut Jr.