I've received solid advice so far - yours included so thanks for that. And I'll take perspective from anywhere I can find it at this point. I have friends that are both pro and hobbiest woodworkers but none that really know how to use a lathe "properly". I've joined my (most local) club so we'll see what I learn there. I've taken 2 classes (not great ones but got my feet wet). I've also purchased some material (the Ashley Harwood classes explained a lot the Stuart Batty concepts in a different way which gave better perspective - for instance). Why wouldn't I asked experienced people such as yourselves for input? Learning on my own is challenging enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
If you base all your decisions on the advice of internet hobbiest, then you would expect the bevel to be critical. But ask a grizzly old veteran, and you will understand my advice. Rudy Osolnik said he put his kids through college making candle sticks and only had around 3 gouges in his shop. He sure didn't care if the bevel angle was 36 degrees or 42 degrees. Internet folks will argue about something being .005" out of flat. Same comparison.