Thread: Supply chain issues and a homemade tapered tenon cutter

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Supply chain issues and a homemade tapered tenon cutter

So I have been patiently waiting for a tapered tenon cutter that is backordered due to supply chain issues. This is no fault of the company I ordered it from, so this is not a post bashing them. But, I decided to try something tonight to see if I can move forward with my chair project.

I took a scrap 4x4 and cut of a roughly 12" piece. I then bored a 5/8" hole.
    IMG_20220422_181846234.jpg

I then used my Veritas tapered reamer to team the hole. I went all the way flush to the face of the board.
    IMG_20220422_182108685.jpg

I then cut away a 90 degree chunk so there is an opening in the reamed hole. I then clamped an extra iron from a junk no 5 to the block and set the depth very very light.
    IMG_20220422_185234644.jpg

I didn't want to drill holes and attach the iron with carriage bolts and washers right away as I want to experiment with different depths and settings. But we're I to find a winning combination I would definitely use carriage bolts and fender washers for a Rick solid attachment.

I couldn't find any dowel cut offs in the shop, but I did have a piece of maple to play with. I used a hatchet, drawknife, and spokeshave to get it to a rough size. I then took light cuts while turning and slowly advancing the stock into the cutter. There were times I had to stop and adjust the rough size because it was taking too big of a bite, but in the end I did end up with a serviceable tenon.
    IMG_20220422_185838252.jpgIMG_20220422_185847273.jpg

While it certainly won't win any beauty contests, for something that gets stuck in a chair seat and never seen I would say it's good enough. And it's tight.
    Last edited by Jason Buresh; 04-22-2022 at 8:52 PM.