I am planning to purchase a cnc router this fall, likely a higher end consumer product (likely Axiom Iconic, at this point). One thing that I never seem to see as an option is the ability to clamp and mill materials in a vertical orientation. It seems to me that a wide variety of joinery would be easily done in this manner. I have seen a couple modifications where people have been able to do this sort of thing, but no cnc router that I have seen allows this sort of thing as it ships from the factory.

So, a couple questions, then...

1. Am I just out to lunch with this idea? Would I find after owning and using my cnc that there were simpler, better ways to do this? Just go buy a Wood Rat or something similar and keep it separate from my cnc?

2. Is there a machine with this capability that I have not considered?

3. Is there a specific machine that can be easily adapted to do this, in a practical way and without voiding warranty?

I look forward to your insights. My hope is that I can spend my time doing projects with my machine, rather than spending time building and learning the machine. I am an experienced woodworker and mildly competent with computer and CAD software. CAM and CNC will be completely new to me...

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Cheers!