Hi all,

I am currently trimming out a couple of new pocket doors I've installed with frames made by Johnson (model 1500HD). They used to be made with steel-wrapped wood studs, but they have recently changed to all-steel studs. This has changed some aspects of the installation because you are now attaching drywall and trim to metal rather than wood.

For installing the trim: Johnson's instructions state that you should attach the split header trim with screws on the lock lever side in order to provide access to the header in case service is needed in the future. They also state that you should install the split jamb trim with screws on both sides. They do not state how one should install the door casing to the steel studs, but it would seem that you would again need to use screws for the steel stud split jamb side.

In practical terms, using the provided #6 trim-head TEK screws would in fact allow for future adjustments or door removal without a lot of destruction - but only if the trim-head screws are left exposed. In terms of craftsmanship, leaving exposed screw heads is unacceptable (particularly the provided screws, which are black, on white trim).

How would you all deal with this issue of craftsmanship vs. practicality? I could side with craftsmanship and cover the screw heads with wood filler and paint at the expense of practicality; future adjustments would require gouging out the wood filler to access the screw heads (and would also require the worker knowing that screws were used rather than the default assumption of nails). I can't bring myself to side with practicality and leave the provided black trim screws exposed, but I could obtain some white trim screws that would blend in a bit more - but at the distinct expense of craftsmanship.

Thanks for reading