Quote Originally Posted by John TenEyck View Post
Thanks once again for all your helpful comments, Martin.

Am I going to get a mill? Yes! Unless my wife threatens divorce. So far she hasn't.

To you and anyone else who cares to offer an opinion. I have not found any used machines in the LT15, Woodland HM-130, Hudson HFE-30 range for 1000 miles around me. It's hard to imagine these machines don't get sold fairly regularly as people get older, circumstances change, etc. I'd prefer to buy a used machine but if I have to wait for a year to find one then I'll buy a new one. What's your take on this? Am I not looking in the right places or are used machines just really rare? In the same regard, I'm guessing used machines hold their value really well. If so, and I had to pay 75% of the cost of a new machine to get a used one then I'll just buy new, now. What's your experience with all this?

John
All I can say is I bought my LT15 new and it would take a major life change to convince me to sell it - moving, injury or illness, getting too feeble to turn logs, etc. But it's so nice to have on hand that when I get feeble I'd probably pay someone to operate it. The cost of the mill was not that great so even a moderate financial problem might not convince me to sell it.

I suspect these smaller mills are not usually bought to run a business. If I had a larger, more expensive mill and used it to make money I'd probably be far more likely to sell it if my business plans changed. I think of this one more as another hobby tool like my jointer or lathe.

I might not use it for a year but when I want it, it's there, always starts, always runs well. If a big meteor or airplane crash or sudden sinkhole destroyed it today I'd order another one tomorrow. BTW, WoodMizer sent mine on a FedEx truck, strapped to one big pallet. I unloaded it with forks on my tractor.

I'd say just do it. Call today. Think of it as an investment in the quality of life. Think of all the sawing you'll miss out on if you wait another month!

PS, I do recommend buying an extra bed extension or two - at times it has been very useful to mill a 16' log.

sawmill_blanks.jpg sawmill_cedar_log_10x10.jpg sawmill_cedar_IMG_20171204_165233_909.jpg sawmill_cedar_log_cant.jpg cedar_fresh_IMG_20171205_133128_661.jpg

(Looks like I saw a lot of eastern red cedar! But also oak, pine, sweetgum, walnut, persimmon, maple,...)

JKJ