Thread: Surface Prep for Traditional Marine Varnish

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Surface Prep for Traditional Marine Varnish

Prepping Mahogany (Honduran) and White oak as part of a traditional varnish buildup with the Epifane High Gloss Clear. What I have done in the past is to wait until really cured and sand initially by machine and then eventually with a block to knock down high spots and provide the flattest finish possible. Reducing to start and then applying thicker coats. I apply coats until it appears fab or I run out of time. It's a 7+/- coat process to get the desired result. I basically follow their directions.

Question: Between coats, can I use the 3M (Stotch-brite) abrasive pads (7447 and 7448) designed for the Marine Industry with aluminum oxide grit built in (at least on the red)? They are rated like steel wool with the 0 and 00 abrasiveness. 0 compares to 120, 00 compares to 180 grit according to some sources I’ve researched. That's actually pretty coarse compared to the sanding I would normally do. But the finished result really looks like a good prep for the next coat, and the sense I get it that removes less material. Do you think these are suitable for prepping varnish (Epifanes) between coats?

Separately: I'd be interested in hearing comparisons of the Epifane's Clear Varnish and their Wood Finish Gloss for those who have experimented. The 72 hour recoat without sanding would seem very attractive.
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 01-25-2019 at 3:26 PM.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius