Thread: Should I re-stack this batch of drying elm lumber (pic)?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Should I re-stack this batch of drying elm lumber (pic)?

In March -- approximately 3 months ago -- I had a small elm log milled into lumber. Recognizing that elm is notoriously difficult to dry without it twisting into pretzels, I still took on this project knowing that I'd likely loose a large percentage of it to warping/cupping/twisting/etc... as it dried.

(As an aside: this photo I found when considering the project and I googled "milling elm into lumber" gave me nightmares: https://wunderwoods.files.wordpress....pg?w=300&h=199)

But I had access to the tree for free and it was only around $60 to mill it, so I still went for it, and I'm glad I did. I had a couple of 9/4 slabs milled (bottom of the stack); most of the rest is 5/4, and a couple of odd thickness boards are mixed in higher up on the stack.

It is stacked in my dry basement. By dry, I mean the air is conditioned well -- in the winter, it is remarkably dry down there with the forced-air heating desiccating the air nicely; in the summer, the AC and a maxed out dehumidifier keep the relative humidity remarkably low. I realize it still has another year+ to dry before it'll be useable for anything. Two box fans circulate the air 24/7.

In the first week or so, when the wood was still sopping wet, before I had the fans set up, a little mildew showed up on the ends of the boards -- stuck beneath the dried anchorseal and the end of the board. But that was quickly stopped with better air circulation (and the moisture content rapidly dropped). But the length of the boards remain fungi- and mildew-free. I routinely inspect for any signs of bug infestation (none seen) and other problems. All seems good so far.

Except for one thing: these boards are cupping and warping as anticipated. This is leading me to wonder if I should be doing anything to mitigate this movement.

You can see the entire stack here. It is stickered with 3/4" thick, 1" wide pine stickers. The bottom is a foundation of cement block. A dozen more cement blocks are stacked across the top to add some weight.

So the question is: Should I dismantle this stack and attempt to re-stack it in some other manner to mitigate further movement, or has this ship already sailed and I should just let it ride, as-is?

This is a wide view of the stack:
    IMG_0767.jpg

This is the end view of the stack. The day I stacked it, the boards were all beautifully flat, horizontal, and parallel. As you can see, the entire stack is listing to the right ... and that list has slowly grown more steep every day.
    IMG_0768.jpg

Another view of the end of the stack:
    IMG_0770.jpg

As you can see in this close-up view, it isn't simple cupping along the growth rings that is causing this listing...it is some funky rippling that is indicative of drying elm:
    IMG_0769.jpg

You can see where the boards have separated from the stickers where they are warped ... all boards were in full contact with every sticker on Day 1. Now, not so much.
    Attached Images Attached Images