I am making a small dinning table out of ambrosia maple and sipo mahogany. TBH... this post is ill-prepared... I'm at my office and I dont have my exact measurements with me, nor do I have any photos on the computer- I'll fix that shortly here... but it is roughly a 65" x 36" x1.75" glue-up with 5.25" of each end of that glue-up being tenon for the sipo end pieces (The tenons are 5/8 to 3/4 thick) The sipo end caps are 9" wide... I know its a bit excessive but it wasnt intentional... I just had the wood available and I really liked the look of the end caps being so wide when I first laid it out (there is more maple than sipo and the wide ends balance the contrast a bit) .
My question:
Do y'all think this is a bit much? Too much weight on the end with almost 4" of thick sipo extending past the end of the 5/8 to 3/4 thick tenon like that? I've honestly never done a table of this size (or much at all) and I've done more than a few things that I'm sure some would grumble at in terms of poor planning and flying by the seat of my pants with designing/building this. Good news is I can always make it smaller... or add some support from below
I'll post pics for visual reference once I get home.