I've been trying to teach myself how to spray finishes and quite frankly it has been a struggle. I can't seem to get a decent sprayed coat even under ideal circumstances. I've gotten by with rubbing out finishes but it is a lot of work and can be justified only for those special pieces. I'd like to get a bit more production minded and hopefully get some pointers from the more experienced finishers here on how to get a better finish.

So lets start with the setup first. Compressor is a 2 HP California Air tools, 10 gallon compressor. Putting out 6.4 cfm at 40psi. I've modified it to add a water trap / air filter with a dedicated hose for the spray gun.
IMG_3953.jpg

I use a makeshift booth with a 20x30 in box filter. The walls are just plastic sheeting hanging from the ceiling and encloses and area around 12x12 feet. The exhaust is drawn outside using a 12" diameter flexible hose and a 12" utility blower rated at ~3000 cfm. I've measured the airflow with a velocimeter and get around 120-150 ft/min at the filter. There is a dessicant filter at the end of the 15" hose and a final 3 foot hose to the gun. I use a cheap lazy susan bearing screwed to two pieces of MDF as a turntable.
IMG_3955.jpgIMG_3954.jpg

The gun for these trials is an Asturo WB with 1.5mm tip and RP aircap. I also have a 1.8mm setup, and both H1 and H2 HVLP aircaps available.
IMG_3950.jpg

I'll be spraying General Finishes Enduro PreCat Waterborne Lacquer. The results I get are pretty typical and are similar to what I've been experiencing with Target EM6000, EM9300 and GF Clear Poly.
IMG_3951.jpg

So on to the test piece. This is project I'm working on that I'm planning for a fully leveled, rubbed out and polished out finish. Wood is Mahogany. I applied 2 light sanding sealer coats and 3 full strength coats of lacquer by brush. Then sanded back using 180 grit to fill in the pores. Here's the result:
IMG_3938.jpgIMG_3940.jpg

Here's a sprayed coat:
IMG_3949.jpg

The surface is full of dimples, craters, popped and unpopped bubbles. Once dry the overall feel is quite smooth, but the craters and bubbles are quite noticeable. Since the finish is smooth, it doesn't appear to be a dry spray issue. Any suggestions on how to obtain better results?