Thread: Raised Access Flooring in workshop

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Raised Access Flooring in workshop

My architects had a really intriguing idea for the floor in my workshop. I've decided that I want the dust collection ducting to run under a false floor in the workshop. Don't need the rehash to over/under debate, this is how I've decided to do things.

I was originally going to go with 2x10 or 2x12 floor joists, with plywood over them, screwed to the joists. Vapor barriers over concrete, etc...

They suggested I go with a raised access floor system. Not sure how many people have had experience with them, but they are commercially used in data centers, car show displays, etc...

Having to just put in the supports every 600mm or 24" and allowing the ducting to go diagonally seems to solve many problems.

Anyone with experience with these? Suggestions?

This will be in coastal Florida, so humidity is 4000 percent, although the workshop will be climate controlled, but not all the time.

Also, how to drill holes to allow ducting to pass through seems more difficult with these than just with plywood? Anyone drilled through these before? (I'm thinking a router and a template). These come in a variety of materials. Most have galvanized metal on the underside. Some are pretty finished surfaces on top, some have composite wood, some have calcium sulphate, among others.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 10-04-2017 at 4:34 PM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.