Hey guys new to the forum, have been lurking awhile and doing a lot of reading but this will be my first post. A little background, I am a novice woodworker, and have built a few small furniture items and tables and a few other things along the way.Really learning as I go, keeps me busy when I am not working or building custom fishing rods on the side.I am from upstate NY, so I obviously have some down time once the boat is stored for the season and the snow starts falling.That’s when the projects start, gotta do something to keep me busy.

I recently started a new project, as I just converted my garage to a man cave over the past year, and am in the process of building an 8 foot straight bar. I have basically finished framing everything out and am ready to move into the bar top application.That is where my questions really focus upon.For the bar top I am using an 8 foot Eastern White Pine live edge slab, that is 2 inches in thickness.The slab according to the sawmill has been air drying a few years now and is ready to go.
Question 1:
I noticed when I got the board home, it was in the back of my pickup baking in the 90 degree sun yesterday, and started to cup. My guess is the humidity and change in moisture in the air as it was stored inside.Is there anyway to reverse this cupping effect.Should I try to lay it in wet grass and allow the sun to reverse the effects on the convex side of the board?Any advice would be great?
Question 2:
I am trying to determine the best way to secure the slab to the frame. I want to make sure to take into account that the wood will have movement throughout the seasons, and would like to avoid any issues and allow for this movement.I was thinking of using a Heavy Duty Desktop Fastener (Figure 8 Fastener) and using this to attach the Pine Slab to the horizontal 2x4 frame.I am a bit concerned with the short screws, and was thinking of going to a 1” screw instead.Any thoughts?
Question 3:
Lastly, I was going to sand the slab down, and leave it unfinished, and apply a good two part self leveling epoxy as a flood coat, pretty familiar with Epoxy coats from my years with Fishing Rods. Question is, before I poor the flood coat, it says to seal the wood with a thin layer of epoxy brushed on.Do I need to do anything to the slab prior to this?An do you seal both sides of the slab? Do you think I would be better not using an epoxy and simply staining if the space is subject to big swings in temps and humidity?

I know it’s a lot of questions, and I hope I explained it good, or well enough. Hope you guys can help!Thanks again.