Thread: A lighthearted Neander thread - mostly photos

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

A lighthearted Neander thread - mostly photos

After a long week of work a friday evening whisky is enjoyed amongst friends. This is, in my opinion, the forum equivalent.

My wife enjoys a local antique market, she often requests that I do the driving. More often than not I can browse through in 2-3 minutes then drive off and get a coffee, this weekend however I decided to dig a little deeper.

I stumbled upon this and enjoyed the story that came with it. The seller had a piece of furniture along with this at his stand, the furniture was a rustic piece utilizing carefully chosen branches (with bark intact), tenons obviously cut with a tenon cutter (rounded shoulders) and fitted into neatly made mortises. The piece was left to dry and upon doing so it tightened up to form a rock solid bond. I didn't think to take photos of the furniture, so hopefully my description alone with suffice. I assumed from the seller's description of the maker that he has passed and the seller was offering the last of his work and a mallet.

This mallet is a massive piece, amazingly intact and the handle is very tight but appears to be a simple round tenon. For scale the frame sitting behind this has members of 2.5" x 1.75".

I've been needing a replacement mallet for some time, my goumi mallet being a bit lightweight for my taste and my joiners mallet has been disintegrating for some time.

So, this is a thread of fun unexpected finds, please participate and enjoy.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 09-04-2017 at 10:16 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.