I know this is a day project, if that, for a lot of you but it's much more than that for me. I've built some drawer pullouts for my wife's bathroom vanity from BB ply. I'm finally ready to get these things finished (topcoat) and installed. The drawer slides are already in the vanity so once this is done it's on to the next project!

Based on some advice here, I'm planning on using General Finishes High Performance Water Based Topcoat. I'm doing a small test on a piece of BB ply now. The instructions recommend a minimum of 3 coats, sanding with 300-400 grit sandpaper in between. First questions: Is this a good topcoat for me to be using for these bathroom vanity pullouts? Does 3 coats sound right? Is sanding with 340 grit after each coat sound right? After the final coat should I sand again and if so with what grit? If you don't like this finish please let me know why and what you'd recommend.

IMG_3962.jpg

I have little to no GOOD experience with painting or applying topcoats. What is going to be the fastest method for me to apply the finish and still achieve good results? I'm not sure where/how to start. Should I do the inside of the drawers first? Last? Should I be applying the finish to each drawer in stages? It seems to me I have to do it in stages or I'll mess up the finish. How do you protect the finish (what do you set things on?) when you letting it dry? Are the cheap foam brushes from the big box stores good for applying this finish?

IMG_3964.jpg

Thanks in advance!
Mike