I need some guidance on the best way or ways to reduce the dimensions of a turning block intended to be transformed into a spinning top.

I'm asking as a pretty new turner trying to develop some skill making a variety of things and I'm having some difficulties making spinning tops out of hardwood.

Here's what I'm trying to do. Take a 2" x 2" x 5" piece of hard maple and turn it into a basic spinning top with a fairly pointy base that's about 1 1/2" long and a thin integral handle about 1 1/2" - 2" long by about 3/16" in diameter.

The way I've approached it after making the block round was to use a spindle or bowl gouge (ground with swept back sides) following a tool rest at the approximate angle of the pointy base cutting from the 2" diameter toward the point. This works fairly well though it seems a bit slow.

My biggest problem and challenge is reducing the size of the remaining round 2" blank to form the 1 1/2" long by 3/16" diameter handle. I've tried using a small spindle gouge, a skew chisel that is a big challenge for me that only produce slight wisps of shavings and finally a parting tool that cuts very well but takes a lot small bites and time.

Its not that I'm in a big hurry to finish a top, it just seems to me there must be a better and more efficient way to do this.

As a new turner, I admittedly realize that tool grind angles and tool presentation make a big difference but thought I'd present the problem I'm having on this forum and see if there are some suggestions the experienced members can make that might be helpful.

Thank you

Dom