Thread: More Marshall Mesquite

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

More Marshall Mesquite

After getting back from San Jose early last summer, I cored the largest pieceof mesquite Kathy Marshall had given me. I took the center of the core to Maine with me and turned the small bowl on the left (and posted it) during the summer.
    1 Mesquite r.jpg
    I liked the color and usability of the little bowl so much that I thought I should make another to match it. I had taken a small blank of mesquite with me, but hated to turn away most of it ...and I couldn’t core it. Even though Kathy had anchorsealed the blank, I was so paranoid about it checking, that I also wrapped it with some stretchwrap. It started to get funky under the wrap…… but better than cracks!
    When I was able to turn and core out the center last month, the sapwood had discolored a bit. The colors obviously don’t match either. So muchfor the identical small beaded bowls. Will have to call it a his and hers!
    2 Cored Mesquiter.jpg4 Beaded Mesquiter.jpg3 Beaded Mesquiter.jpg
    9 x 3 3/8 and 7 x 2 x 1/8. Finished with walnut oil
    Thanks again for the wood Kathy. (Someday I will find the outside of that red one in my pile of bags and finish it!) It has been fun turning and using them!
    Last edited by Baxter Smith; 10-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.