Thread: One of my first Clavichords

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

One of my first Clavichords

I had the great privilege of making a living as a harpsichord maker 40 some years ago. I could have benefited from studying with someone who knew what he was doing, but that was pretty hard in the 70's. I started making instruments any way I could in my teens and it took a significant fraction of my free time through college.
    Once I figured out woodworking --- somewhat later in my self-education --- things began to fall in place. After building several unfretted clavichords, and shaking off the Zukerman paradigm ( I'm sure many of you know what I'm talking about ), I took some time to explore the fretted clavichord.
    This is my first etude. If memory serves me right, the earliest strung keyboard showed up around 1310. This one is from a few years after that. I don't remember the precise image source I copied from, but it was a fairly credible woodcut and either a museum placard or a musical instrument text convinced me that it had been a real instrument.
    So, here are a couple images. I've delayed putting this up because I'm besieged with other matters right now and don't have the proper time to enjoy a discussion here. I'd enjoy sharing what I know about all this. As I take up instrument making again, much the wiser after these years and with far better resources and hand woodworking skills, input is welcome.

A couple comments.
    1) I wouldn't dream of using plywood in an instrument these days. Back then, clear flat plywood was an excellent source of affordable flat wood. Also, even the best harpsichord kits of the day ( Hubbard ) were using plywood.
    2) Because of the tortured path the keys take, they have to be weighted.
    3) The case of this instrument was 3/16" spruce I acquired from a shop that sold "west system" spruce for boat making. I built several Italian 2X8's with the same stuff and they sounded terriffic.
    4) For sound, this instrument doesn't have a chance. There's not enough down-bearing. Our ears these days aren't attuned to the quiet, softish sound of a less-than perfect clavichord. ( if you want to hear an amplified one, listen to the Beatles "For No One" )
    5) The shape is ugly. It has to be 1/2" taller than seems right because the keyboard has to slip in under the soundboard, then be elevated through the keyboard holes.

This guy has been under foot for some time and no longer serving a purpose. It's hard to send an instrument to the fireplace, but the time has come to retire this one. I figure I'll take some pictures for future reference and send it to clavichord heaven.
    Questions and comments are welcome, of course.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Russell Sansom; 01-25-2011 at 1:42 PM. Reason: adding comments