Thread: Good deal on used oneida cyclone?

Good deal on used oneida cyclone?

I have a chance to buy a used 3 HP oneida cyclone for $800 and was wondering if you all think that is a wise buy. The unit was bought in 2001 and has the original filter and motor. It looks to be in good working order and I will have a chance to see it run before I purchase it (I will however travel to travel 250 miles). The price includes a small about of ductwork, maybe $150 worth. The 3HP for me is overkill (I have been in the market for a cyclone for awhile now and the people at Oneida have been consistent with me in saying that I only need a 2 HP unit). The new 2 HP cyclones are $1380 plus another $250 for shipping, so the $800 for the used 3 HP looks pretty attractive.

I do not know how many improvements oneida has made over the last 7 years. Is the 2001 3 HP cyclone really any better than a 2008 cyclone? Plus how much longer is the motor likely to last? Anyway, I would really like your input as I need to make a decision by quickly--I would like to pick it up this weekend, if possible.

It's likely a Leeson motor and I doubt you would have any need to worry about that. Current designs have some improvements, but that's still a very nice machine. There really isn't any major "overkill" in the sense that more capability to move air is far better than not enough. If they unit is in good condition, and considering it includes some duct work, etc., $800 is not an unreasonable price. I sold a circa 2000 1.5hp Oneida system with some goodies for $400 in 2004 for comparison...and it had no where the performance that the 3hp unit will have. You certainly could try an offer slightly less while your there to examine and potentially buy, too...at worse, you'll need to pay the $800.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Good to know

Thanks Jim,

Yeah, I was assuming it was a baldor motor. The guy selling it has a commercial shop, so its been used a lot. How many more years am I likely to get out of the motor? And the filer, too? It's also the original.

One other thing. The unit will go in my basement, so I will have to replace the 55 gal drum with a 35 gallon one. I have an exposed ceiling--96 inches from the floor to the bottom of the joists, which are spaced 16 inches to center. Is the motor small enough to fit between the joists? It would be good to know that I have a couple of extra inches of height to work with if necessary.

Hi Bob, Both Leeson and Baldor are top notch motors,( mine has a Baldor) designed for contiuious duty., but its hard to say how long one will last, just a chance you will have to take.

The moter is small enough to fit inside the floor joist, I have mine set up the same way. I ordered 2 extra 35 gal drums with my system and they were around $35 each w/the lid. Hope this helps

I have the motor between the ceiling joists in my shop...I'm running a 2hp Commercial with a 55 gallon drum. The 3hp is just a little taller, so you may very well need to downsize the bin to fit into 8', even with the motor poked "up there". Jay's comments about the 35 gallon drums brings to mind that you could use two of them with a wye fitting on the bottom of the cone. The only requirement (outside of the space) is that everything seals up perfectly. You want zero leaks between the cyclone cone and the drum(s).

On the filters, unless they are damaged, a little compressed air carefully applied (outside!!!) and some gentle whacking with a board will clean 'em up for you to use. You can always buy replacements, but I doubt that is necessary.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 12-17-2008 at 9:31 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Life expectancy of motor and replacement costs

I'm guessing his motor has a couple thousand hours on it. What are the life expectancies of lesson and baldor motors and what do they cost to replace? I had trouble navigating the www.baldordirect.com site, but everything I was seeing was about $700. I hoping that was not right!

In my experience with Baldor motors, that should be the last motor on that unit you will ever buy... and if the bearings should go, they are common sizes and easily obtainable.
    Cool Place, this Sawmill Creek.

My 2hp commercial unit is 5+ years old and it came with a Leeson motor and has been flawless.

As the others have said, any Baldor or Leeson should be the last motor you ever need.

The systems are designed to not tax the motors all that much so I would doubt there would be any issues.

That is good to hear

Thanks. I think I'm going to go for it

YES! Go for it Bob!! My 1998 3hp Oneida system has a Leeson motor. I gave $1100 for mine, so you are getting Lotsa Bang for the Buck!

Worries about commercial grade, continuous duty motors are unwarranted! I believe the glut of imported cheap motors in machinery today causes this paranoia! A motor such as Leeson or Baldor should run forever if not overworked beyond rated capacity!

Three things that can and might go wrong with single phase motors, 1) capacitor, 2) starter winding contacts, 3) bearings. All are a fix at much less than replacing the motor. Enjoy that Cyclone! You won't be sorry you drove 250 miles!!
    [/SIGPIC]Necessisity is the Mother of Invention, But If it Ain't Broke don't Fix It !!