Thread: Cleaning and prepping a natural edge slab

Cleaning and prepping a natural edge slab

I have this large redwood burl slab (8 feet long with almost 40" at its widest) and it's quite rough with a lot of bark and other junk in it. I'm currently at a loss as to how to tackle it! How does one go about cleaning the slab and generally getting it ready for milling?

I'm planning on using Tage Frid style router sled to flatten it, but I need to clean it first! Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks!
    Anil

I've used a combination of a wire brush, toothbrush and a ROS to clean up the edges on the slabs I've worked with, working mostly to remove any loose material, etc. That's a wonderful slab, BTW!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I think you are out of your league, best send that slab to me Seriously, no experience with the clean up of this, but it sounds like lots of careful handwork with a wire brush or the likes to only remove the parts that are not sound or will flake off. Maintaining the bark is half the beauty of pieces such as this IMO.

Please keep show the progress of this project. I see you are in WA, where did you get the slab?

Brad

Start with compressed air to blast the various pockets and nooks 'n crannies and to find loose sections. Start gently of course until you get a feel for what is going on with the board and then tackle it with brushes and whatnot.

What you're going for is to make sure all loose stuff is either removed or glued and to make sure all dirt, rocks, stones, are gone before putting ww'ing equipment to task.

Coffee table, I presume although it is quite long for that.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Thanks for the tips

Guys:

Thanks for the tips. I think I will start with blowing out the debris with compressed air followed by wirebrushes. I may even have to cut out some loosely attached limbs (or something like that, I'm not sure).

Jim: I hadn't thought of using a tooth brush; a little like an archaeologist, uh? :-) Though the thought of taking a tooth brush to this monster is a little daunting (may be I will use those for hard to reach areas).

Brad: I got it from someone locally, who I think brought with him when he moved from California.

Chris: I think this slab is a little too large for a coffee table :-) I have not figured out what I will do with it yet. First I want t focus on cleaning and flattening it. Then spend a few hours, days looking through old posts and the two Nakashima books for inspiration.

I will keep the group posted on my progress.

Thanks!
    Anil

Anil,

Ah, I wondered were a "Washington-ite" got such a pretty slab o' redwood from! I knew it was California but hauling that to Washington is a decent trip!
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Come on and admit. You didn't really post for help. You posted to brag. Brag away my friend. Looks like a nice deer hunting chateau dining table.
    MMMMMMMMMMMBEEEEEERRRRRRRGOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDD!!! !!

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Petersen View Post
    Come on and admit. You didn't really post for help. You posted to brag. Brag away my friend. Looks like a nice deer hunting chateau dining table.
    Okay, may be this *is* a small gloat . But this is my first natural edge slab project, so I need all the help I can get.