Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Polyester Impregnated Kraft Paper

I got my sample, this stuff kicks ass! It cuts like cardstock, but its firm, almost like sheet brass.

Dave

Here's a test shot, the steps are perforated, no charring or weakening of the materials around the cuts. Its pretty darn close to photo etched brass. Nice stuff!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dave,
    That looks awesome is it the oil board from Dickblick?
    Kim

Wow David! That stuff does look like the holy grail for model railroad laser cutters. I got to get some quick!

-Robert

Lazerboard, get some!!!!

Garolite (XX Paper Grade) aka Paper Phenolic

Quote Originally Posted by David Fairfield View Post
    Thanks Robert!! I've seen it too and was wondering the same thing! The stuff is smooth, thin, strong and flexible. Perfect for miniature model work. The only problem was where to buy it.

Dave
    McMaster Sells it in many thicknesses and sheet sizes.
    www.mcmaster.com Search for: Garolite (XX Paper Grade)

Neal Schlee
    Lasertech Alaska

Hey David!

how did you manage to purchase some of this laser board?
    Did you got it from northeasternscalelumber?

Thanks

Ben

Hi Ben

For some reason, Northeastern restricts the sale of this stuff to manufacturers and does not list it on their website. So you have to call them and talk it over.

They say there is a $1,000 initial minimum order but after I tested the sample, I called them back we agreed to a $300 order. The sheets are packaged in batches of 50 sheets, 12" x 24" @ $3 a sheet.

Since I'm not using huge quantities, the price is OK but I suspect there's a much cheaper source for this stuff. Maybe the stuff McMaster has is the same material, I wasn't able to find it when I took a quick look at Neals link. Let's look around and report back

Dave

Thanks David for the information.

Understood, you need to call them and negotiate, I'll do my best to find another source and post the results here if any.

But Neal seems to be on the target for the name of the product. Garolite

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Levesque; 10-25-2008 at 11:08 AM.

I think I'm starting to get this figured out . . . . Garolite is one brand of what is generically called XX grade paper/phenolic, also known as paper reinforced phenolic. Another popular brand is Micarta.

Way back at the beginning of this thread, I suggested using G10/FR4. G10 is a fiberglass reinforced epoxy; obviously it will be more expensive than XX paper reinforced phenolic. But for small parts I still think that some users may find G10 to be a suitable material and the extra cost may not matter much. G10/FR4 has higher stiffness and strength than XX. (FR4 is similar to G10 but it is a fire-retardant grade so you can expect it to char a bit more since it is designed to resist burning.)

I think the XX FR4 and G10 designations are all NEMA classifications. (There are many more.)

Look here for a comparison
    http://phenolic-sheets-rods-tubes.com/

If you are looking to source options to Garolite you might search using terms: XX paper phenolic

Actually the price of $3.00 for a 12" x 24" x .015" piece does not sound that unreasonable to me. (The large minimum quantities are more of a problem.)

You might see XX board used as a circuit board or wiring board material in toys and battery operated electronics products (where UL, CSA or CE approvals are not required.)

A friend of mine just got a sample of the stuff, and he also asked for an MSDS.

The photocopy MSDS he got looked like the original manufacturers name was covered with a sheet with Northeasterns name, but there is an original manufacturers logo on those sheets that we could not identify.

What we were able to find out is that stuff is what I was calling a "Holy Grail" product a few years ago when I was hoping someone would produce it.

It is 70-90% cellulose powder and 10-30% polyureathane. It's not phenolic, flame retardant PC board material, or oil saturated kraft paper.
    Relatively non toxic, and has just the properties I need. My friend said it glues with white glue, takes paint very well, and is very stiff, rasters 3d real nice and smooth, and it don't bend, rather breaks.

I am still patiently waiting on samples, but I stayed on squak box for over an hour walking my friend through all the tests I wanted to do with the stuff.

-Robert

Try soaking it in water before bending it. Worked for me!

Dave

Thanks Robert for the info, polyurethane is way better than phenolic regarding skin irritant and all. Can you scan the logo? Maybe we can identify it from what's on the web.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben Levesque; 10-27-2008 at 2:11 PM.

Got my laserboard today. It is definitely not phenolic. Much softer and more bendable. Very light in color. I will run a few tests. I suspect for my purposes, the glass free circuit board material will be more appropriate for me.

Mark
    ULS X-2 660, Corel X3, Haas VF4, Graphtec vinyl cutter, Xenetech rotaries (3), Dahlgren Tables, Gorton P2-3, New Hermes pantographs (2), and recently, 24" x 36" chinese router. Also do sublimation, sand blasting, & metal photo. Engraver since 1975.

I changed over some of my drawings to take advantage of the strength of this stuff. It can go really fine, but the really narrow pieces are slightly brittle. Unlike photo-etched brass, I can push a pencil through this part with little effort. However, its still flexible and strong enough to withstand normal handling during construction.

Dave

PS @Kim, I sent you a dozen sheets of Lazerboard yesterday, priority mail, should be there shortly
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by David Fairfield; 10-29-2008 at 10:06 AM.