Thread: Best Skew DVD

Best Skew DVD

Is there one DVD on how to use the skew that you would recommend for a new skew user? I have just purchased a 3/4" and 1 1/4" Doug Thompson skew and need to learn how to properly use them.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    John

I have seen the Alan Lacer videos usually mentioned.
    Last edited by Tim A. Mitchell; 10-06-2008 at 8:16 AM.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

John I would get both of Lacer's DVD's on the skew. After watching and practicing it is my favorite tool.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I agree with the recommendation for the Lacer videos. He's a superb teacher who can explain everything crystal clearly, with just the right amount of information, and the photography is excellent. The first video covers the techniques, the second is practicing the techniques on various projects. The videos might seem a bit pricey at $35 each though I've found them well worth it (especially the first one if you don't have access to personal instruction or a club).

d

Are these the two that most of you recommend?
    Video 2 Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side
    Video 3 The Son of Skew -
    Sequel to: Skew Chisel: The Darkside & The Sweet Side

John,

Those are the two skew videos Bernies talking about.

I have The Skew - Dark Side.&.Sweet side. Excellent video. LIke Bernie, the skew is my favorite tool.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

The first video at least is on sale right now at Woodcraft. Along with lacer's signature skews. It isn't much of a sale at $29. But hey everything little bit save more money for wood!

Joshua

In addition to Lacer's videos...

Consider getting (buying or borrowing) Alan Batty's video, The Skew Chisel. The video appears to have been part of some British television series on master craftsmen. The video doesn't have the production values of Lacer's videos -- no great fiddle music or interesting location shots -- but it does show precisely how the skew is used to make each type of cut. Batty was a production turner for decades and learned the old fashioned way, by serving as an apprentice. He clearly explains how the skew should be held to make a certain cut. He then explains why.

While the video concentrates on the skew, Batty also discusses roughing gouges, parting tools, and detail gouges and shows how each is used and why he would use one tool rather than another. He finishes the video by showing how to turn a cabriole table leg. This project only takes him a few minutes (where it would take me hours, if I could pull it off). It's helpful to see him move from skew to gouge and back again. All the while, he's telling you why he's switching tools and reminding you how to use each one.

Lot's of good information.

Here's a link to Craft Supplies USA's descrption of the video: http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/st...skew_vid?Args=

I actually think that the section on skew chisels in Richard Raffan's video (I think it's called Turning Wood) is the best of the trio which includes Lacer's and Batty's, although those other two are quite good.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice! It looks like there are several good resources for information.

11. Skew vidios

I rented both of Alan Lacer's videos from Smart Flix.

Lacer and Batty's DVDs are great, but nothing is better than one-on-one instruction for learning the skew.
    Don't burn the wood, turn the wood.