Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Beginners turning tools

both hf sets

Bob,
    Do you think there is enough difference in the two HF sets to warrant getting the red handled set? I already have the white ash handled set and am debating getting the red set.

thanks,
    john

IMO, I can't say one is better than the other. Some say the steel in red handle set is beefier. That is not true. I have both sets. They don't have tight quality control. Some tools in the white set are slightly thicker and some are thinner. I found no difference in edge holding capability. I guess these tools were not coming from the high tech factories. It all depends on the experience of that particular tool maker.
    Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by John Strait View Post
    Bob,
    Do you think there is enough difference in the two HF sets to warrant getting the red handled set? I already have the white ash handled set and am debating getting the red set.

thanks,
    john
    My red set is thicker, I owned the light set first and bought the red so I could regrind some of the tools. The red set comes with a nice spindle gouge but the roughing gouges are really different then the norm. I use them as a skew sometimes. I like having both as I use a wide varity of different grinds. PLus they are cheap and they are HSS.

Bob

Sorry guys, I just got up. It is 6:30 in Hawaii Alooo(yawn)ha
    Thanks for the replies. I know enough about tooling to know that steel quality can make a difference. One thing I can't stand is when I buy a tool only to find it does not do what it is suppose to do. So your feedback is very much appreciated.
    I have a buddy who is a professional turner, that is he makes money at it. He makes those super thin Koa bowls. He is building a lathe right now to turn 48"!!! bowls. Says he wears full motocross gear when making these big pieces...wow.
    Anyway, He suggest three tools to start with;
    5/8" Bowl Gouge
    3/8 Detail Gouge
    Part off tool
    Suggest going with Glaser or Taylor
    Problem is these three tools will cost twice as much as a beginner set of eight!
    Not sure what to do here...
    C

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wollerman View Post
    Anyway, He suggest three tools to start with;
    5/8" Bowl Gouge
    3/8 Detail Gouge
    Part off tool
    Suggest going with Glaser or Taylor
    There is an affordable alternative to the Glaser.
    thompsonlathetools.com

They are basically the same A-11 steel and cryogenic heat treatment, except they come unhandled. You either have to use a removable handle or make your own handle.
    Bill Grumbine did couple 2 day demo for us. He did various projects, all he used was one Thompson 5/8" V bowl gouge and a detail gouge and a parting tool.
    The only difference between a Jerry Glaser bowl gouge and Thompson V bowl gouge is the flute on the Thompson is slightly open up. It doesn't clog.
    Even at such a high price, Glaser tool has long back order. I ordered a Glaser screw chuck in January from Highland Hardware, they are still waiting for shipment.
    Ask your buddy for opinion.
    Gordon

Thanks Gordon,
    That's a pretty cool site. I like the idea of making the handles...I still don't know what I am going to do but at least I am armed with some good insight.
    Cheers,
    Colin

Hello all, new to turning and SMC.
    I will be getting my first lathe in about a month or so, and looking for some tools. I noticed this thread is about 10 years old and I was wondering if you all have any updates on tool recommendations.

John, I couldn't stay out of this. The last thing I would do is buy a set. You will have tools that are never used. The cheapest way to go imho is to buy a few good tools. For bowl turning I would want a quality 3/8" bowl gouge, a parting tool and perhaps a round nosed scraper. There are many posts re: the fine tools out there. The other main need for bowls or spindles is a sharpening jig. Again, look at the posts. You don't NEED A 3/4" bowl gouge.

I seldom turn spindles ... so don't use those tools.
    By far the cheapest way to go is to take a lesson or two. If money matters, that will be the best investment of $ and time you make. I expect to save a new turner hundreds/thousands of dollars. If money is no object, have fun and experiment.

A different opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    ... I couldn't stay out of this. The last thing I would do is buy a set. You will have tools that are never used. The cheapest way to go imho is to buy a few good tools. For bowl turning I would want a quality 3/8" bowl gouge, a parting tool and perhaps a round nosed scraper. There are many posts re: the fine tools out there. The other main need for bowls or spindles is a sharpening jig. Again, look at the posts. You don't NEED A 3/4" bowl gouge.
    I seldom turn spindles ... so don't use those tools.
    By far the cheapest way to go is to take a lesson or two. ...
    Contributing to this old thread revival, I have a broader take on this. When I started turning I bought a very cheap set of Craftsman tools and still use most of them. They are excellent HSS, the gouges are forged Continental type (preferred for some things), the diamond parting tool is one of my most used today (I even found a second one so one is always sharp), I reground the scrapers to special-purpose shapes, and I've ground the skew to a "beginner's grind". They don't sell this original set anymore, AFAIK, or I'd buy another one. (Like I need more tools with way over a dozen spindle gouges, 10 bowl gouges, maybe a dozen skews, a drawer full of Hunter tools, ... yikes!!!)

A cheap set of tools will let the new turner experiment on a budget without major limitations, and more importantly, learn to sharpen without wasting a lot of expensive steel.

If it turns out some tools are never used, they can often be reground into something else, auctioned off, or simply given away. I have a box with a few dozen cheap tools I've acquired just to give away to beginners who need them or want to practice sharpening.

I would add that the type of tools to get depends on what one will doing with the lathe, and a beginner often has no idea. For someone starting out it I think it would be a shame to eliminate spindle turning tools and possibly a huge aspect of turning. In fact, a list of experts recommend to learn spindle turning FIRST - it will teach you the fine tool control that will let you turn anything, including bowls. It doesn't necessarily work the same way. I know excellent bowl turners who couldn't turn a delicate finial if they had to. I've even met people who are even afraid of the skew! (A couple of experienced bowl turners have even come here for skew lessons.) Of course, this is not universal but one observation: most of the better turners I know personally are adept at spindles as well as nearly everything else.

To the list of bowl gouge, parting tool, and round-nose scraper I would add
    - a 3/8" spindle gouge,
    - a roughing gouge, a 3/4" spindle gouge,
    - and perhaps a good negative-rake scraper (but that is easily made)

I do agree that very few people NEED a 3/4" bowl gouge, although some think they do! And although I learned from books, I think everyone would agree a few lessons are a great investment. (And free lessons are even cheaper - my shop is open.)

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Finke View Post
    Hello all, new to turning and SMC.
    I will be getting my first lathe in about a month or so, and looking for some tools. I noticed this thread is about 10 years old and I was wondering if you all have any updates on tool recommendations.
    I've been down several of these avenues as I started. The best advice, I think, is to find a class or mentor and buy exactly what you use in the class exercises. There's enough to learn at first that learning to adapt to variations in tools too is best postponed.

One thing you need to do is learn to sharpen. Again match your instructor, but barring that get a One-Way Wolverine Jig and simple bench grinder. Why? Because 99% of the instruction I've found references settings on this jig. (There are several other systems, with persuasive arguments as to their superiority, but they just don't show up in instructions! Switch later, if you switch, once you're comfortable and have mastered the basics done the common way.)