Thread: Plywood Storage Rack

Plywood Storage Rack

I'm designing a plywood storage rack for my shop. It'll fit under the stairwell that leads up to mantown.
    Attached is my first attempt at using sketchup so bare with me. (How do I post a picture of this, I can only figure out how to post whole file)
    Anyhoo, I'm making it 9' tall so I can easily move vertical plywood panels in and out.

-Question is plywood or melamine readily available in these lengths?
    The alternative is to make frames out of poplar or the like. Similar to the way dust panels are made in drawer carcasses.

-I want to keep back open so I can attach clamps/cauls to plywood to keep it flat.

-I plan on using rabbets/dados for joinery just don't know how to draw them in yet. I'm learning.
    Your thoughts and comments (neg & pos) are welcome. Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    ...How do I post a picture of this, I can only figure out how to post whole file...
    Jim - get the SketchUp view the way you want it, and then do a File - Export - 2D Graphic. It should come up with a .jpg file extension. You can then save it as a JPEG picture, and then size the file (if required) and post it.

My local good plywood supplier sometimes had 4x10 sheets on their "shop" list. I built mine with 2x4 framing, lined inside with OSB. But it doesn't have different compartments like yours. That hasn't proven to be much of a problem for me. Here's an old thread about it.

Ahhh, I knew it couldn't be that hard Mike. Thanks.

Matt, I like your rack and got some good ideas. If 10' isn't available, I could laminate some OSB or melamine. Where mine is 4' wide, I'd like some compartments to better manage different plys and the split bay will be nice for offcuts. Thanks for posting a link to your thread.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are you really thinking of building the rack without any back? What's to keep it square? When stored plywood leans on a side, the rack will lean sideways too. Secure it to a wall to prevent that, or run some diagonal braces (1x3) or the like) on the back.

It will be well supported by the vertical 4 x 4 posts that support the stair deck above. Sorry, I didn't draw them in, again, new to sketchup. Suffice it to say that it will be well anchored.

I think you'll be very happy with it.

Some learnings from my experience with a similar rack:

-- The vertical partitions will be very helpful. Mine has no partitions, but when a dozen sheets of plywood, Melamine, or MDF tilt even a few inches one way, it's hard to tilt them back to clear one you want to remove. I have a bungee cord tied to the right side with a hanging 2x10 weight on the other end hanging across the top of the sheets and down their right side to keep them from tilting. The partitions don't waste much space, and will work well.

-- A roller slightly in front of the front edge, flush with the bottom (or even 1/16"-1/8" higher) is very helpful when inserting and removing heavy sheets. There's enough friction against the adjacent sheets -- the roller eliminates most of the sliding friction at the bottom of the sheet. My roller is PVC pipe around a galvanized pipe axle, but I would now opt for a ball-bearing roller, like those used for roller stands (e.g., http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=6158)

-- A tie-in to ceiling joists or wall studs (or a back) will help keep it square. Mine ties into my ceiling joists.

Thanks for the tip on the rollers. I also read somewhere that a sheet of plexi on floor helps plywood slide too.