Thread: Drawer bottoms - how thick?

Drawer bottoms - how thick?

I'm building a captains bed for my son with 6 drawers. The drawers approximate size will be 24" wide x 26" deep x 12" tall. I tend to overbuild things and was planning on using 1/2" ply for the bottoms. I'm wondering though, anybody think I'd have problems using thinner stuff, say 1/4" (actually, what I have is more like 3/16)?

This is starting to sound like a stupid question... Drawers for a 6 year olds bed that he's going to use for at least 12 years. Of course, when (when, not if) he jumps in them and goes through the bottom, I'll only have to replace the bottom and not the slides.

Any other thoughts?

Bryan

For a drawer that big, 1/4 ply will sag under the weight of the stuff which might go in there -- including a kid. Use 1/2".

It's a cost benefit question on one level: half inch will cost more money and, in theory, take more drawer space and add more dead load to the drawer. If it is inevitable that the kid is going to jump in the drawer, what will break if the bottom is half and won't?

In 23 years of professional custom cabinetmaking and furniture, I have never used thicker than quarter. I glue it in the dado.

If you're going to have sleepless nights over this, use your 5mm for the bottom and then, when the glue is all set, invert the drawer and glue another piece of 5mm to the bottom. Your belt sander makes a nice weighty clamp for this.

Blog Entries
    I would go with 1/2" baltic birch.......

1/4" will do fine. Dados will probably fail before the ply.

Okay, 2 for 1/4 inch and 2 for 1/2 inch. I think the 1/4 would work if it was good 1/4" plywood. The only thing I can buy around here is cheap 3/16" luan with really thin veneer. I had some knotty pine plywood that would work fine but that was about 10 years ago and I don't remember where I got. I'll probably end up having to special order something from one of the local lumber mills.

I appreciate the answers.

Bed is coming along good. 1 box done and the other ready to be glued together. Then the face frames and then the drawers so I have a little time.

Bryan

I use 1/2" ply for all of my drawer bottoms. I find that the small price difference pays off with a more substantial feeling drawer.

So...I'll mention nominal 3/8" material as yet another alternative. Stronger than nominal 1/4" and less weight than 1/2" and in that respect, likely perfect for many of the larger drawer projects that don't have to carry excessive weight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    So...I'll mention nominal 3/8" material as yet another alternative. Stronger than nominal 1/4" and less weight than 1/2" and in that respect, likely perfect for many of the larger drawer projects that don't have to carry excessive weight.

Ha Ha!!! I was waiting for somebody to bring 3/8" up! Our factory made kitchen cabinets are made from 3/8" but I've never seen it in any store. I'll have to check with my local lumber yard to see if they could even get it. Any bets as to whether it's more expensive than 1/2" birch?

Bryan

Blog Entries
    The width doesn't bother me as much as the depth. I'll use 1/4" BB ply on 24" wide drawers of average depth. I'd go 1/2" for a 12" deep drawer. Way too much opportunity to overload.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Baltic birch comes in 6, 9, 12, 15, and 18mm. The 9mm might be a good choice.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop

I went ahead and ordered 2 sheets of 1/2 birch ply. I got one yesterday (order was screwed up and that was all they ordered for me) and it is a really nice looking piece of plywood! One side is flat sliced veneer with very nice coloring between the sap and heart wood and no voids or repairs at all. I'll see what the other sheet looks like when it comes in but I'm thinking this sheet will make beautiful drawer bottoms.

So, 1/2" it is!

Thanks for the thoughts on this.

Bryan

I follow the rule of no bottom exceeds 15" w/o support and it has served thru 4 active kids. This is a pic of a 26" chest drawer. Bottoms are either 1/4" oak ply or 3/8 anything else. The support stile is M&T into the drawer ends.

Joe,

That's a great idea and one I hadn't considered. I haven't built the drawers yet, in fact I only have 1 sheet of 1/2 inch plywood. I'm going to look into this.

Thanks

Bryan