Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finally some DC progress................

1. I was under the impression that ductwork design was free with the purchase of a 3hp or larger super sucker...

I was also advised at the time of purchase that ductwork desige was part of the sale, even when I move and build a new show from the ground up, no matter when that may be! It is my bet that I will get free design in how many ever years it may take.

Heather

Scott.......Initially because I'm a one man hobbiest shop, Oneida didn't think it would require and in fact, recommended a 2 hp Dust Gorilla. So I paid the engineering fee. Then after they designed it, they didn't have any 2 hp Baldor motors in stock and it was going to be sometime before any were delivered. Asked if I'd be willing to upgrade to 2.5 hp I said "Okay". When my system delivered inside the motor box was a note stating due to a supplier shortage of 2 hp and 2.5 hp motors, mine had been upgraded to 3 hp at no charge to me. I measured the size of the impeller.....who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth?
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-25-2008 at 12:32 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Well its about time.

Lookin' good

nicely done Ken. I'm sure it sucks!

mike

6. Ken...I just ordered my 2.5hp last Friday and am (im)patiently waiting for it to show. Funny you speak of getting the free upgrade, I know a guy who had the very same thing happen to him...ordered a 2hp, they didn't have any instock, so he got 3hp upgrade for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Jolin View Post
    Looks real nice, Ken. Is all your pipe 6"? And how are you attaching the pipe to your brackets? (any closeup pics?). I'm planning something similar with spiral pipe, so was curious on your solution.
    thanks-
    ed
    Ed,

Here's how I attached the pipe to the wooden brackets and to the plywood on the walls.

dc5.JPG

dc6.JPG
    Ken

Nice work Ken! Thanks for sharing the pics!

Nice job on the install Ken. Looks nice and clean. Did you end up duct taping the joints or did you use silicone? I took pictures of my setup before the taping, made it look cleaner. Now it looks like a zebra. I opted for the 2.5HP and they had it in stock, no free upgrade for me.

Leo, foil HVAC tape disappears. "Duct tape" (the cloth type) isn't a good choice for duct, believe it or not. It peels off over time.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Leo....in the photos...most of the joints are taped with foil tape.
    Ken

Ken - I've been following your posts on this project. I really give you credit for a well planned system/project. It has inspired me to modify my DC system in my garage/shop. I relocated my DC and replaced all my main runs from 4" to 6" duct work (I put the 4" in well before I was smart enough to know it was a bad choice).

(Please keep us informed on how well the cyclone works on your lathe work.)

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shevnock View Post
    I was under the impression that ductwork design was free with the purchase of a 3hp or larger super sucker...
    I just purchased a 3hp Dust Gorilla and they told me that the free design came only with the industrial models now. The Dust Gorilla does not count as industrial regardless of the horse power of the motor. The sales guy did say he would be happy to advise me if I had any questions.

Ken, That looks great! I'm jealous. That was the system I wanted, but economic reality forced me to settle for a 2hp canister. It's sitting in the garage waiting for me to haul it to the basement, set it up and wire it. I'm sure it will work fine for my small shop, but that big yellow gorilla sure looks nice in the corner.

Is it true that if you run that thing a few minutes a day you don't have to worry about dandruff shampoo?

-Roger