Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nova DVR XP Owners...

Nova DVR XP Owners...

Any buyer’s remorse out there? I’m looking to upgrade from my mini and I think this is where I’m headed. OK, OK, I know this may not be my last lathe and I should buy the biggest I can afford (I’ve read all the threads). Price is a factor, but not the major one. The thing is, I have space constraints right now and I will occasionally need to move the sucker around. Also, I probably have at least one more major relocation before I retire (way too far in the future) and I don’t fancy trying to move a mustard, especially if I don’t end up with a big enough shop to put it in!

I’ve looked at the Jet 1642 EVS and think the footprint will be a bit large for what I want. The rotating headstock on the Nova would be handier than moving to the end of the lathe for outboard work IMHO. I'm perfectly willing to listen to rebuttals from Jet owners and if anybody has any other suggestions I’m all ears!

Also, if any of you Nova owners have built a stand that you like, pics would be appreciated!
    Mike

Nope...although I'm not in the big user catagory...I like it just fine.
    Here's a picture...
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachme...9&d=1139174499
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Can't compare the two lathes for you but as far as the DVR stand. Ping Kevin McPeek and try to get him to send you pictures of his. He has the nicest stand I have seen for a DVR.
    Mike Vickery

I'm really happy with the XP. It has great power for a lathe on 110V and is easy to change to 220V if you have it. I put way too much money into my lathe stand but it could be made a bit cheaper and I like it a lot.
    I would like to have the extra capacity of a 3520 or something like that but you can turn pretty large stuff outboard on the DVR. I've done bowls that were green mesquite and probably 17-18" diameter to start, so we are talking 60+ pounds and it did them just fine.
    I think if you have space constraints it is a great choice for the money. There are other large capacity lathes with a small footprint but not in the same price bracket.
    It probably won't be my last lathe, don't tell my wife I said that, but I really don't "need" more lathe.
    Here is the stand Mike was talking about.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Kevin
    Insert witty saying here.

I like my dvr xp fine but...... At the same time I bought it for my mountain workshop, I also bought a powermatic 3520B for my Columbia workshop. I got great deals on both, and the powermatic cost about 300 dollars more. No comparison.. The PM is worth the difference!! Not only is the capacity greater, but it came with a very heavy duty stand and is simply more powerful. My guess is that I won't outgrow the PM. Incidentally, changing the DVR XP to 220 involves little, but the manufacturers recommend a surge protector for the machine, since it is computer driven. Getting a surge protector for 220 involves some work. When you figure the stand, 220 v without any additional expenses, the PM doesn't really cost much more than the dvr.
    No one has the right to demand aid, but everyone has a moral obligation to provide it-William Godwin

I'm sure Jim or Sasha will chime in but the stubby has a small foot print without many limitations. It's just awhole lot more money!

Bob

http://www.stubbylatheusa.com/cgi-bin/index.py

Hi Mike, I have a Nova DVR- 2005 and love it.
    The lathe has preformed well and does anything I ask of it. I do run it on 240v.

In the photo is a 30" flywheel I turned, one of two.
    If you can keep up with it, it will turn larger.
    Personally, in my mind, it has some features other lathe manufactures have not even come close to incorporating into there designs.

Yup, I used to have a DVR and it's a nice lathe, but I'd go, if at all possible with a Stubby 750 and get it over with. the 750 is even easier to move than my 1000 because the stand is solid steel on the 1000. the wide stance on the 750 helps a lot when you are turning.
    Sascha

I love my DVR. I used the stand it came with. Beefed it up with two 2 X 12's that is sits on with 280 lbs. of sand. It is solid.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

I like your setup there Bernie, especially the tool holders! I'm guessing with the rotating headstock you don't have need to change sides of the lathe for hollowing?
    Mike

No remorse here. I've had mine 1 1/2 years. I mounted it on the same bench with my Jet Mini and they share dust collection, swing around lights, tool stand, etc. I brought in 240vac for it but haven't gotten around to converting it over. Actually, haven't needed to since it has ample power. I like the swiveling headstock but the drawback is that the headstock and tailstock don't always line up if you depend on the stop. Yes, I would buy it again......Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Mike A. Smith View Post
    I like your setup there Bernie, especially the tool holders! I'm guessing with the rotating headstock you don't have need to change sides of the lathe for hollowing?
    Mike that is right. I don't need to get on the other side besides my DC is back there along with the tools.

Ron I bought one of those double ended MT#2 taper rigs. I put it in the headstock and tailstock. Once aligned I clamp it down. Takes about 30 seconds. I have checked with the spur and livecenter points. It is dead on.
    Last edited by Bernie Weishapl; 12-27-2007 at 8:16 PM.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

13. I've had my DVR for about 2 1/2 years now. I bought it for a lot of the reasons you mention, including knowing there was at least one more major move in my future. As others have said, the lathe has done everything I've asked of it. I do plan on building a new stand for it, because the current stand is a bit tall for me, and I just bought a bed extension and need a longer stand. I'd love to have a Oneway, or maybe a Robust or other fancy machine, but for the money the Nova has been great--I really have no complaints.

I have the DVR and it is wired for 220V, I also have the 3520b which is 220V. If there is any difference in power I have not noticed it, both have power to spare. I've had the DVR longer but both have been trouble free. The 3520b cost almost $1000 more than the DVR (DVR came with a SN2 chuck and the 3520b came with a bed extension) but I could never choose between them. I currently have the Ornamental Turning Unit on the DVR and am exploring all the possibilities of that apparatus. Any of the lathes that have been discussed above are great lathes, get what your comfortable spending and have fun turning!

"Ornamental Turning Unit" I had honestly never heard of this before. I googled it and it sounds really neat. Looking forward to seeing some of your results.
    Mike