Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Our governor wants to collect taxes on internet purchases

Our governor wants to collect taxes on internet purchases

I don't want to mention what he proposed to do with drivers licenses out of fear of breaking the forum rules. But I hope that this topic does not cross the line:

http://www.nysun.com/article/66382

Pay close attention to the last four paragraphs on page 2.
    Last edited by Alex Berkovsky; 11-14-2007 at 2:53 PM.

What I find odd about this is that here the sales taxes even at a retail store level are charged only to state residents. If you are from out-of-state visiting,
    or if I ship out of state, no sales tax is required. On internet sales we are supposed to collect tax on anything sold within the state.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

No big surprise. It has happened in a few states allready.

Not that it makes it any better, but: What people tend to forget is that the state needs money for things that we (collectivly, not that you have to agree individually) want them to provide, such as roads, school funding, etc. They are loosing money on sales that would normally have been made in the state. Therefor, they need to cover the cost, or get rid of something (probably the funding you wanted them to provide, such as to fix the highway you drive to work on or leave the city).

If they do not get it from there, they will find another way.
    -------------

"Just a little bit of a curve will add to its fondleability." - John H.

people just will stop making purchases from the state of NY over the internet.

Alex.

I hate to tell ya' this but, it's already in place. He's just trying to enforce it. It's been a line item on CT tax form for years now. To actually abide by the requirement would take a CPA.

I just got an bill from the state of CT for an eBay purchase from England. I have to provide proof that it was a "casual sale" and not a sale from a retailer to not pay.

Everybody that didn't pay sales tax on internet purchases caused this.

It always bugs me seeing people purposely buy online to avoid paying there state's sales tax and then complain when governments start enforcing it other ways.

By the way, I do pay the sales tax owned on internet purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Franklin View Post
    Everybody that didn't pay sales tax on internet purchases caused this.

It always bugs me seeing people purposely buy online to avoid paying there state's sales tax and then complain when governments start enforcing it other ways.

By the way, I do pay the sales tax owned on internet purchases.
    I think people in NY wouldn't have as hard a time swallowing an internet sales tax if their state government wasn't so wasteful with the large tax revenue they already bring in (some areas have the highest tax rates in the US).
    If an internet vendor charged me sales tax on an item, sure I'd pay it... but I'm not going to go out of my way to tally up at the end of the year and put it on my return if they don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Alex.

I hate to tell ya' this but, it's already in place. He's just trying to enforce it. It's been a line item on CT tax form for years now. To actually abide by the requirement would take a CPA.

I just got an bill from the state of CT for an eBay purchase from England. I have to provide proof that it was a "casual sale" and not a sale from a retailer to not pay.
    Mike,
    I didn't realize that this tax law was already in place - I am sure I am not the only one.

It's voluntary here, some charge it & some don't. Not sure I understand that policy, anyway there's been a push recently to make it mandatory. Seems the "kitty" is low & they can't squeeze the schools of anymore $$$... heaven forbid they put off any roadwork 'cause the roads here in MO are on par with many 3rd world countries. Ya know when ya hit the KS state line, the roads are suddenly smooth...

Greg

I'll second the charge of wasteful government spending. I live in Washington state & we have a lottery that is supposed to have a certain percent to toward schools & education, I know what it says but I still can't help but wonder how much is really going to education.

Here is where you can read about it.

http://www.walottery.com/sections/Ab...x?Page=History
    I usually find it much easier to be wrong once in while than to try to be perfect.

My web page has a pop up. It is a free site, just close the pop up on the right side of the screen

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Phillips View Post
    I think people in NY wouldn't have as hard a time swallowing an internet sales tax if their state government wasn't so wasteful with the large tax revenue they already bring in (some areas have the highest tax rates in the US).
    If an internet vendor charged me sales tax on an item, sure I'd pay it... but I'm not going to go out of my way to tally up at the end of the year and put it on my return if they don't.
    I absolutely agree. Government is overbloated and I do not want to contribute to obesity. A quote from a man I admire:

Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.
    Ronald Reagan

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Berkovsky View Post
    I don't want to mention what he proposed to do with drivers licenses out of fear of breaking the forum rules. But I hope that this topic does not cross the line:

http://www.nysun.com/article/66382

Pay close attention to the last four paragraphs on page 2.
    I just heard he has backed down on his driver license proposal. It did not make any sense anyways.

I suspect that most states want to charge sales tax on Internet purchases. And most states require you to remit independently the equivalent (often called a use tax) for those purchases you made from Internet purveyors that don't collect in your state. (I'm suspecting the compliance rate is, umm...low... ) Business-wise, this is somewhat complicated, however, as a vendor would need their retail software to maintain tax information for not just all 50 states, but likely for any deviations. In PA, for example, the state sales tax is 6%, but in Philadelphia there is an extra 1% tacked on. I can't imagine the Philadelphia tax folks wanting to give up that 1% if indeed, out of state vendors had to collect state sales tax...complicated. Very complicated.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Pelonio View Post
    What I find odd about this is that here the sales taxes even at a retail store level are charged only to state residents. If you are from out-of-state visiting,
    or if I ship out of state, no sales tax is required.
    Hmm...never heard of that one before. Any time I've made a retail purchase anywhere on taxable merchandise (and that qualification varies by state), I've had to pay sales tax. Nobody ever asked if I was from out of town, either...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Hmm...never heard of that one before. Any time I've made a retail purchase anywhere on taxable merchandise (and that qualification varies by state), I've had to pay sales tax. Nobody ever asked if I was from out of town, either...
    Jim, they'd never ask! You have to request it, and show ID. The state would love to get the extra money, me thinks. It was done mainly to attract more business from the Oregon residents. They have no sales tax there, so people from WA shop there a lot for major purchases, but few would come from there to here to buy. They solved the problem on cars, by taxing when you license it, but people still do go down there for things like appliances. 8.9% less saved a lot on a $1,500 TV, until gas got so high.

The way the law reads, you are exempt from sales tax if you are a resident of another state and will use the product out of state. That means you still pay on restaurant dinners and other things used here. We also charge people for significant hotels taxes and car rental taxes.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green