Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Oliver 20C 1909 Pattern lathe Completely renovated and modernized

Ok Brian its official, I really dont like you now!! LOL Of course Im kidding Im just really jealous of that lathe you have there. Excellent job on the restoration and that sample turning with the router.
    Way to go my man!
    If at first you don't succeed, look in the trash for the instructions.

Very interesting! Wha, no electronic variable speed??

Update:

First of all, That space aged Hitachi router from planet Beltar is off of the carriage-. It worked very well but way to much bulk and the fabricated configuration was to much, not to mention I hated the design~ what were they thinking. anyways The new router is the PC 892 and this set up is very easy and not to mention looks a lot better. The index plate was mounted on the S&K dbl pulley flywheel , and when the lathe ran at full speed it sounded like a jet engine, rather loud, and I wanted to be able to take it off and on when needed. So yesterday I removed everything from the shaft and took the index plate off , put everything back to together on the spindle shaft, installed the shaft , then centered/mounted the index wheel on to a face plate used the carriage to cut the center hole out from 2" to 2 5/16th", that worked out good then moved the index wheel and the locking assembly to the back , mounted a hub on the outboard side to clamp the index plate , then centered the locking assembly to the index plate to check for accuracy- was true all the way around.
    This is a much better set up for both applications now and I will be working on the linkage next~.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post UPDATE: Variable Frequency drive~ Remote applications

For any of you that own aftermarket, or a replacement VFD for your equipment, there are some options that are available for the unit FYI.
    I had my Yaskawa 7hp VFD mounted on a swing assembly on the back wall along with the magnetic starter and it was OK but not what I really wanted. I remember reading in the manual about the remote setup options and what was available~rocket science with all the technical description. I called Yaskawa's tech department ~ absolutly top knoch department by the way ~ thanks to Jason~ the man is incredable, anyways, he told me there are 2 applications , the one remote operation actually is a main controller called a (MEMOBUS) master unit which will control all vfd's if you have more than one in your system~ however ~ this application is more less designed for blower fan units, conveyor and more industrial applications so you have control from one unit and avoid having to go to every single VFD to change parameters. In my manual it explains to you the wiring from the control terminals but not from that point to the remote. You also have to take into account the potentiometer (K value) the meter (milliamp) those were the only 2 that were confusing, the rest,,IE ~ on/ off, forward/reverse and multi step speed reference are just contact switches. I was able to get a analog controller , same brand (Yaskawa) which was great for $10.00 + shipping from ebay, the guy even changed the potentiometer for me from a 10K to 2K which is what my model called for, along with throwing in the resistor which had to go between + side of the meter from 4ma down to 1ma. I think he has more of these on hand to sell if anyone is interested ,send me a pm. I found out that they originally sold for around $129.00 from a distributor ~ what a bargain and it is definitely a professional set up.
    I have this set up on my oliver as you can see and the controller (attached to the carriage) is detachable , I can actually put the controller in my hand , or lock it in my belt to have it with me next to my hip and i have a range of 13'. it is awesome what ever digital readout I get on the main controller corresponds to the analog meter ~ it works flawlessly and I now have control with me at all times. If your interested in doing this with yours , check your manual and look for remote control, or control terminal in the manual~ you may or may not have this I don't know but from what I have read most if not all have this option. I have to get a Plexiglas case to cover the VFD as well ~ it is not good to have dust or debris falling into the unit so I am off to find a case plexi case today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Weick; 06-12-2008 at 5:33 PM.

Brian, excellent work on the Oliver. Indeed.
    John 3:16

Brian,
    That looks like one heck of a setup!

Don't forget to allow for some air flow in the acrylic case for the VFD. Sealing it would definitely lead to overheating. I've often thought that I'd mount mine in a metal box with a sealed swing door if I ever get around to adding a VFD to my lathe. I plan to mount a pc fan along with air filters to keep the dust out of the unit.

Can I ask what all was involved with having the bearing retrofitted? How much time was involved in the machining and what would it have cost based on normal machine shop rates? The reason I ask is I've got an old woodworking/metalworking lathe with a 1.5/8tpi headstock and brass/bronze bearings that requires lube. My system bearings and spindle seem to have no play but I wonder what it would cost to retrofit mine...

Thanks in advance,
    Dick

Smile VFD enclosure/bearing fabrication

Hi Dick,
    Yes, I am looking into the cover case because dust and debris will damage the unit, your absolutely correct .The VFD on the Oliver has a fan built right into the unit on the bottom, as far as adding another fan to the unit~I don't think it is necessary as long as the case you have around it allows for air flow. But if thats what you want to do~ it certainly can't hurt.
    the machining on your headstock and spindle will vary in the pricing depending on who you take it to, the best thing to do if you really want to retrofit the bearings is take it to a machinist and see what they say. when I had mine machined the prices I got were all over the place. Like I said ~ if your really interested in doing this take it with you for the day , line up some machinist/milling outfits and see what they say. I would recommend asking around for someone that you know directly or referred by someone you know and I think that will help out with getting the job done correctly and within a reasonable price tag attached to the job. good luck with your project Dick.
    Brian

Brian, Nice job. I biult my own with a 10k varible resisitor and a 3 postion switch and built my own. But I have no meter and I paid more then $10

Bob

Question question Bob ~ 10K resistor?

Hi Bob,
    Bob, I have a few questions for you,
    id you mean 10K potentiometer? you're model calls for a 10K pot or are you just using the one you have? , this K value on the pot has something to do with the tie in to the meter apparently.Anyways, i have to ask you, where did you mount the VFD and when you use the remote control, can you see the value on the HZ digital readout? Did you encase the VFD ~ that is something I definitely have to do asap.
    I am glad I utilized the remote feature, it makes having control of the lathe so much easier and "safer" ~ the case is what I am concerned about right now.
    Brian