Thread: Blade Change Steel City 18" BS...

Blade Change Steel City 18" BS...

Morning...

I got this PM from CF this morning asking a question about my SC 18" BS blade changes. I decided to open a quick thread to answer the question to allow anyone that has one to grab a few ideas that I used to make an excellent BS even better.

You mentioned in a recent post that you have the SC 18". I was wondering if you've tried mounting blades wider than half an inch or so, and whether you had to remove the blade guard to do so.

On mine, the blade guard is close enough to the guides that I need to remove it to mount 3/4" and wider blades. I'm seriously considering cutting it back so that the left edge is in line with the blade. It would only protect on one side, but would make blade changes much easier.
    I do not have to remove the blade guard to install a wide blade. I run a 3/4" Wood-slicer on my saw dedicated to re-saw.. rip and tenons. I cut curves.. plastics.. etc. with smaller blades on my smaller BS. But the front of the blade guard mentioned has not been altered in order to change blades quickly.

But.. with that said and assuming you are have large hands.. etc., I wouldn't hesitate to cut off the left front portion of the guide to get better clearance as that portion serves no "major" role in safety, IMO. Additionally, the first thing I did was to cut off the bottom 3" of the blade guard so it ends just above the upper bearings.

As on most saws, the guide blocks visibility of the bearing and cut line and makes getting to the upper bearing adjusters a minor pain. There is no purpose served by having the guide below the upper bearings even though about all BS's do including the Euro's. The MM 16 is a classic example with it's guide which their techs affectionately call an "armadilla tail" as it telescopes down well below the upper bearings.

Not necessary.. but has to threre to meet Euro safety standards to get exported to the U.S. Eric at MM recommended.. cut it off and I agree. The Pacific Rim saws extend them also to avoid liability issues. Again.. the solution IMO is to cut off the extra as it doesn't present a safety issue and does create a problem with line of sight and bearing adjustment.

Also.. anyone that has the original version of the saw can get larger thumb screws for the bearing adjusters by calling Steel City and asking. And I will mention the PITA set screw that is underneath the original model that locks adjustment for the lower bearing.. you can't locate and insert an allen head without a flash-light. That was replaced by suggestion of a customer ( ) on the latter models.

Solution on early is go to a good hardward store (or Reid Supply Co. on-line) and purchase either a thumb screw or knurl head M 8 and replace the set screw. The other thumb screw adjusters are M 6, BTW.

Also.. if you have an early owners manual, there is now an addition that explains fine adjustment that can be had from SC with a phone call. I hope any that have the BS can find use of this info. As you know if you do have it.. it comes off the crate as a fine saw and almost ready to go. But.. there is not a BS made that some quirks should be ironed out on and that includes the "Itallion Stallions" and there small blade issues.

Regards...

Sarge.. john thompson
    Attached Images Attached Images

Got a message from Steel City...

I was the one who asked the question that originally started this thread...guess there aren't too many people interested in it.

In any case, according to the SC guys, it is expected that you remove the blade guard when changing blades. Apparently they will add this to the manual.

This is too much of a pain for me, so I think I'll be trimming the guard down.

John -

How does the DC setup you have work on the band saw? I've never seen such extensive coverage......looks like a winner!!

Funny, I cut down the bottom of the guard just above the upper bearing to have better visibility, I didn't even realize that was also allowing me to change the blade without removing the guard.

By the way Sarge thanks again for convincing me to buy the saw. Its been a very good addition so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Friesen View Post
    I was the one who asked the question that originally started this thread...guess there aren't too many people interested in it.

In any case, according to the SC guys, it is expected that you remove the blade guard when changing blades. Apparently they will add this to the manual.

This is too much of a pain for me, so I think I'll be trimming the guard down.
    Early morning Chris...

Just got home from work. You might try just taking a 45 degree cut off the top of the guard for about and inch. I have plenty of clearance to get the blade off without removing the guard. A little snake it this way and snake it that way gets it off pronto. BUT.. wear gloves as "snakes" can bite ya of your not careful.

But.. if all else fails.. I would proceed with the surgery we spoke of. For liability purposes... I didn't say that.. :>)

Regards...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Wall View Post
    John -

How does the DC setup you have work on the band saw? I've never seen such extensive coverage......looks like a winner!!
    Morning Roy..

I've been quite a "machine tinkerer" for many years. In a 35 year collection of my current WW machines.. you would find few that have not been modified in some way. The DC and BS are no exceptions.

As Chris and Emanuelle can vouch for.. the Steel City 4" port works as well if not better than any set-up I have ever seen on a BS stock. But.. I have a PS Tempest S that is a straigh run of "6 clear fles from the cyclone to each machine without reduction. I left the stock 4" port and Y'ed off with two 2 1/2" pipes. One to under after I had drilled dustholes in the ZC slot plate. The another to over-head for any surface escape.

It worked extremely well stock. You could not open the bottom door on the BS with the 6" attaced to the 4" port. So.. I used that extra cfm where it would be needed. Under and over!

Hope that is a sufficient answer and if not.. PM or ask here for any further details you might be interested in.

Regards...

Sarge..

Quote Originally Posted by Emmanuel Weber View Post
    Funny, I cut down the bottom of the guard just above the upper bearing to have better visibility, I didn't even realize that was also allowing me to change the blade without removing the guard.

By the way Sarge thanks again for convincing me to buy the saw. Its been a very good addition so far.
    Morning Emmanuel...

Some things are so simple.. we fail to see them even when they are located at the tip of our nose!

Good to hear from you again and glad you have found a machine that meets your needs. BTW.. I didn't convince you to buy the saw.. I just brought the machine to your attention. The Saw convinced you to buy it as it will step in the ring and go toe to toe with any other competitor in it's divisiion.

Regards...

Sarge..