Thread: Lathe Selection

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gene,

Welcome to the forum!

What you will want in a lathe depends on what you think, at least initially, what you want to turn. 3 years ago I wanted to try turning. Didn't have a clue, as to what I wanted to turn, or if I would even like it. I was more looking for a hobby for retirement than anything else. I looked at the mini's but then made the decision to get a small larger lathe, the HF model 34706. It turns out I fell in love with turning. For 2 1/2 years the little HF did everything that was asked of it. In February of this year I upgraded to a Powermatic 3520B. The Mustard will most likely be my last lathe. The HF is now a permanent Beall buffing station and is used regualarly for that purpose. I do mostly bowls, pepper and saltmills, ornaments, and a variety of other things.

Jim

Gene; here's what has happened to me and my lathe(s). I started out with a lathe because it was interesting and I felt it could be that hobby I could stay with through retirement. I started with a Sears lathe that required me to stop the lathe and change the belt position to change speeds. This soon became a problem and was causing me to loose interest in turning. So, I bought a Nova 3000. Excellent lathe with more and better features and I was excited once again about turning. Along comes a grandson who has shown an aptitude for all things mechanical and impresses me with his ability to reason and understand the lathe. I now have purchased a PM 3520b and couldn't be more pleased. What a lathe. I'm excited, my grandson is excited and together we are going to make a REAL MESS in the shop, ah, studio. I think what I mean to say is two things; buy a lathe that really excites you and will be what you want for well into the future and two; lay out the maximum you feel you can afford and not have to update when you discover you want to turn bigger objects. BTW, I still use all three lathes, just use the Mustard more.
    Friendship is the one bright light, that keeps on burning day and night.

Hi Gene,
    Welcome to the Creek. You say you are looking for a small lathe. Well that depends on HOW SMALL. My smallest, well almost smallest, lathe is a Marklin, maid in Germany. Quite old, no longer maid, around $250.00.
    I run it in my mini shop, it's only 6" long, about 2.5" tall. Runs good.

I am sure you will find many agree the Jet mini is a fine lathe, although a number of folks have others. I like my Jet mini vs.

Bill.>>>>>>>>>>
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Stevener; 08-13-2007 at 10:16 PM.