Thread: Woodworking Magazine?

Post Woodworking Magazine?

I had an email solicitation yesterday regarding "Woodworking" magazine. I am not familiar with the magazine but found it interesting that it contains no advertizing and seems to be sort of "retro" in its approach. Has anyone purchased this magazine and if so, what are your thoughts on it? I see they offer a CD containing all the current back issues for about $22. Has anyone bought this and is it worth the price?

2. It is a fine magazine .The disc is cheaper than buying all the back issues.
    You can browse them at www.woodworkingmagazine.com/blog/

walt

3. sorrry there should be a dash between woodworking and magazine

walt

I have purchased a number of issues and found the writing and content to be a good match with my interests. I enjoy Chris Schwarz's writing style and his choice of topics is usually of interest.

I received a survey from them the other day rooted in the notion of F+W Publications offering subscriptions of Woodworking Magazine (6 issues annually) for $32. I hope they eventually do offer subscriptions. The fact that their current distribution is exclusively newsstand oriented is the main reason I have missed some issues.

Yeah I got the email solicitation as well , they asked if I'd pay $32 for six issues and said no , then asked if $28 and said no , then $24 was the bottom offer ..

I really like the magazine. It has a nice blend of hand and power tool use articles. The last issue had a great article on hand cut mortises. No advertising is a bonus. Its kind of like public radio, I'm willing to pay a few dollars to avoid having to put up with advertising. I have been paying $6.00 an issue on the news stand, so I'm in for a subscription.

Jonathan

In the comments section I put that the subscription department needs to be better than the one for Popular Woodworking. A subscription suould save money and be convienent.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Dickey
    Yeah I got the email solicitation as well , they asked if I'd pay $32 for six issues and said no , then asked if $28 and said no , then $24 was the bottom offer ..
    I have been getting WOOD magazine now since I think 1987. Been paying $28 a year. I decided this year I was going to let all my Magazines subscriptions run out because with other magazines I get, if I let run out they would just about give them to you. WELL……..Got an e-mail from WOOD that my Mag had run out and offered me 3 years for $28. And they wonder why they have to send out so many renewal notices. (This is always the highest price)

If I remember right I was at Pop. Woodworking shop here in Cincinnati a couple of years ago and they were just getting started with that mag and gave me a copy. They must be ready to roll full force now.

I thought you were gonna send em all to me !!! I wudnt have a problem but swmbo wud have a fit ...

You'd think they'd offer subs for rags dirt cheep , as advertisers pay the real costs of publishing , subs are just free money more or less ..

It's a delicate balance with advertisers , you say bad things about their product and they threaten to drop all the revenue , say good things about bad products , and you lose readers and give yourself a bad rap too ..

Unfortunately most ad free rags dont last long ..