Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: How much for vet bill??

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    How does that happen?
    In this case, Charlie provided an update. I think sometimes it is after finding an old thread through a search.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Charles...........I've lived on a farm....slaughtered chickens, hogs.....Hunted squirrels, rabbits, deer, elk, pheasants, quail, doves, fished in the oceans, freshwater fishing in Canada, Idaho, Wyoming, Illinois, Colorado, Utah, Mississippi, Texas, Indiana, Wisconsin, Minnesota......I'm sorry you don't feel as attached to pets as my family has. There's a difference! I elk hunted with a guy for 18 years. My only problem with him.....His horses and mules were pets...spoiled...and sometimes a pain in the rear as a result...But...they were his animals and I was a friend who had the privelege of having those spoiled animals carry elk out of holes that most humans couldn't carry a quarter out unless it was boned out.....

Pets to some are members of the family and as a result get treated differently.

I remember one story from about 15 years ago. A Man Married his Girlfriend. Everything was fine for the first 6 Months of their Marriage. Then, she started trying to CHANGE HIM !! The last straw was when the new Wife wanted her new Husband to get RID of HIS DOG, that he had for 12 YEARS!!! The Wife told her Husband " IT'S ME , OR YOUR DOG!! EITHER YOUR DOG GOES , OR I GO. WHAT'S IT GOING TO BE !!???!!"

The Man thought about it for a minute, and then came the words I will never forget !! This is what he said......

"Honey, I have known you for all of 12 MONTHS! I have had my DOG for 12 YEARS!! MY DOG IS STAYING RIGHT HERE !! "

They Divorced soon after that! His Dog was very happy to see her go !! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We currently have a dog that requires a shot for a allergy condition he developed and it costs us $140 / month. I am retired and obviously on limited income but we will find a way to provide for his comfort. He is approx 9 yrs old and is a mixed breed of Rhodesian Ridgeback and German Shepard.
    Check with your vet about a cytopoint injection. It's a new drug for allergies in dogs and is less expensive than what you quote - I pay about $55 per injection and it last for 8 weeks or more. It was like a magic injection for our dog.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

My service dog is my "wingman" and I'm his. I take care of him and he looks after me. Wife still works so it gives her peace of mind to know that he is always there or she would want me to have a sitter for me to take care of. He spends time with my wife when she is home but he always knows where I am. If I get too quiet in my basement shop he soon shows up just to check. When the wife is at work he's within arms reach. I owe him the best care he can get and have no problem giving it to him. I have had pets also and took good care of them also. If you have a pet you owe it to them to take care of them, you asked for them after all.
    Jim

[QUbest OTE=James Pallas;2753605]My service dog is my "wingman" and I'm his. I take care of him and he looks after me. Wife still works so it gives her peace of mind to know that he is always there or she would want me to have a sitter for me to take care of. He spends time with my wife when she is home but he always knows where I am. If I get too quiet in my basement shop he soon shows up just to check. When the wife is at work he's within arms reach. I owe him the best care he can get and have no problem giving it to him. I have had pets also and took good care of them also. If you have a pet you owe it to them to take care of them, you asked for them after all.
    Jim[/QUOTE]

+1+1+1+1+1+1+1+1
    Jim Tobias

I had two cats that I got when my first wife left. They got me throuh my separation and divorce. When I met Sandi, she told me she couldnt live with cats. I told her they were non negotiable. She cried harder than me when they died. We were "fortunate," when they got sick, it wasnt a hard decision; their bodies had just shut down. my dad had a cat that made 23. She was maybe 8 lbs, and was alwsys tuning up cats (and racoons, when we still had the farm) that made the mistake of crossing her. Ours were completely indoor cats, on the other hand.
    Still, 20 years is a good age for a couple of 20 pound kitties.
    My father told the vet he would pay whatever the cost for "Kitty," but basically her organs had failed.
    To answer the question: when we take on pets, we take on a responsibility. So cost doesn't enter into the equation.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 12-11-2017 at 6:23 PM.
    Paul

Vet care comes with having a pet. All adoptions agreements I've signed stress this. I know not everyone can afford all the things that modern vets can do. I had two cats that required radioactive iodine treatment to fix a thyroid tumor. They were pretty much wasting away. Both recovered completely and lived long and happy lives. Not an inexpensive procedure. Last week my male cat was vomiting so off to the the vets. Vet thought he might have eaten something that was blocking his intestine. 1st and 2nd x-rays were not conclusive. 3rd on 2nd day showed a blockage. His heart stopped during surgery got cpr and recovered, but died later that day. I dont regret the cost but wish we had gotten him to surgery quicker. Boy do I miss that cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Carlson View Post
    .... Boy do I miss that cat.
    Mark, my condolences. Somewhere along the line, they become more than "pets". It seems the closer they get to "family" the more enjoyment they bring to the relationship. But, then, the harder it is when they leave us.
    Comments made here are my own and, according to my children, do not reflect the opinions of any other person... anywhere, anytime.

I'm not a pet owner at present but thinking of rescuing a dog in the new year.

Forgive what might be a foolish question - Are there standards for what vets charge? Does it pay to shop around and if faced with an expensive procedure, obtain a second opinion and quote from another vet? Do some vets just charge way more than others in the same city?

10. iv spent thousands over the years on vets bills for the dogs, and i will continue to do so until i decide not to have another dog, which i dare say will never happen!

My 8 year old Lab, Wilson was diagnosed with bone cancer in one hip about two months ago. If I knew there was a cure, I'd sell the house and everything I own to pay for it. Since the diagnosis, I've been busy tending to his pain meds, and doing my best to keep him comfortable for his remaining days. If you think vet care is expensive now, wait until a larger portion of people have insurance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    I'm not a pet owner at present but thinking of rescuing a dog in the new year.

Forgive what might be a foolish question - Are there standards for what vets charge? Does it pay to shop around and if faced with an expensive procedure, obtain a second opinion and quote from another vet? Do some vets just charge way more than others in the same city?
    Edwin,
    Rescuing a dog will definitely be a learning experience for both you and the dog. The key thing to remember is to have fun and enjoy each other's company while you learn to communicate with each other.

The answers are No, Yes, Yes. Like all professions, there are good ones, bad ones and phenomenal ones. Just because they claim to have the answers, doesn't always mean they have the right answers for your situation. You may need to visit several vets until you find the one that you and your pet both feel comfortable with.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Cleopatra is allergic to virtually everything. We spend approximately $300+ per month on Vet visits, serums and pillls in an ongoing commitment to make her life as pleasant as she makes ours.

We had what was supposed to be top tier pet insurance for her predecessors (two male Goldens from the same litter) and it covered so little that we decided to never go down that road again. If anyone has had a positive experience with pet insurance please post.

Mike H- we are paying about $160 per injection. How much does your dog weigh?

Cleo is more than part of the family, she is our core.
    Last edited by Bill McNiel; 12-12-2017 at 3:48 PM.