Thread: Request for consideration of a programming change

Request for consideration of a programming change

The vBulletin "quote" function is slightly broken. This is pointed up well on Mike Schwing's cutting board post currently high on the main board list.

With inlined pictures, a poster who uses the reply feature not only quotes Mike's text, but also the tags to display the picture. Unfortunately, many people don't edit the quoted text at all, so the pictures appear multiple times. Kind of a bummer, even with pics as nice as Mike's.

Anyway, my gripe of the day.

Dave

Mike's photos are not uploaded pictures...they are links to his web site. If you click reply on his message, you'll see the links embedded in the Quote. I bellieve things do work correctly when the photos are uploaded to the SMC system.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker
    Mike's photos are not uploaded pictures...
    Yeah, Jim, that's what I mean by "inlined". Sometimes I forget that y'all can't hear what the voices in my head are screaming at me...

Thanks for the clarification, what I wish the vBulletin software would do is drop the linked picture tags.

Dave

Message Quotes

Dave,

When I review new messages and see duplicate images displayed I normally edit the quote and delete the duplicate image tags. The vBulletin software unfortunately cannot prevent this automatically.

We encourage our members to upload their pictures to the SawMill Creek server. Messages that include external links to pictures stored on remote servers will not be available when we archive our forums in the future. Sadly a lot of information will be lost, in some cases entire threads will be purged from our database.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten
    When I review new messages and see duplicate images displayed I normally edit the quote and delete the duplicate image tags...
    Wow, Keith. Can't ask for anything more than that, thanks!

We encourage our members to upload their pictures to the SawMill Creek server...
    Hadn't really thought of it that way. What with the way that was done at the Pond being kind of clunky, and most other forums leaning toward linking rather than uploading, I'm inclined the other way by habit. Food for thought for me, appreciate that too.

Dave

Mike Schwing Guest
    Dave,

We encourage our members to upload their pictures to the SawMill Creek server. Messages that include external links to pictures stored on remote servers will not be available when we archive our forums in the future. Sadly a lot of information will be lost, in some cases entire threads will be purged from our database.
    Hmmm! I never thought of that, but always instead link to my own web space out of convenience. I'll give your way a shot next time.