Thread: Grizzly G0453 15" Planer

Grizzly G0453 15" Planer

Hello,

I am getting ready to upgrade to a new planer and have read a few reviews on the Grizz G0493 here at the Creek. Was wondering if any others have purchased this machine and what your thoughts were. When I picked up my G0490 Jointer at Muncy I looked over the G0453 and like the feel of it but was wondering if it performed as well as it looked and felt? Its on backorder so I got to wait anyways. I never knew so many foks were buying so much woodworking equipment. It seems everytime I want something its backordered and I have to wait

Thanks,

Michael

Grizzly G4053 planer

Michael;
    Did you get your Grizzly G0453 planer? I have been looking at this unit and wonder if it is worth getting.

Merrill
    Last edited by Merrill Herring; 12-24-2006 at 10:01 PM.

Blog Entries
    You must be buying the right stuff! Everybody wants it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Planer

Howdy,

Got the G493 planer and picked it up at the showroom. It was packed very nice and no damage at all. Got her home, assembled it which was very easy. Checked the gear lube and it was full but did notice it was a little damp around the drain plug. Was an easy fix, just drained it and applied a little teflon tape on the threads of the plug and she sealed up nice. The planer runs very quiet and does a super job. Used a Delta lunchbox for years and this is such an improvement. Just the size of the cut makes a big difference and you can see it in the chips in the collector. I have done 15" glue ups of hardwood and it still acts like it is going through pine. The only problem I had with this machine is the cord length, but an easy fix and all machines come with short cords so no biggy. It is a great match with the G490 jointer and I am running them everyday. I am sure they both will outlast me. Plan on going back this spring and getting the 18/36 drum sander from them. If you purchase it you will be happy you did. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Michael

Grizzly G0453

Michael;

Thanks for the input, I am assuming you got the G0453 15" planer. You wrote G493. How is the finish on the boards when you run hardwoods? Is the scale very accurate?

Merrill

G0453 Planer

Sorry about that, yes it was the G0453 15" planer. The finish on hardwood is great even at the faster feed rate. The knives were set very good at the factory. I ran about a thousand board feet through it so far and the knives are just starting to dull and believe it or not no knicks. (knock on wood). Will be changing the blades this week. I build custom furniture so I am always sanding what I build and don't really believe a planer to come out with a finish that does not need sanding like some are advertised as doing. This is a very heavy machine with hardly no vibration at all. My guage was right on but it is a bit hard for me to read since it is mounted lower than my old delta. The built in wheels work very easy and so does the dust shoot. For the price, it would be hard to beat. My father-in-law has a Jet 15 inch and they are basically the same machine. His jaw hit the floor when I told him I paid about half of what he paid and his is a much older machine. All in all, another fine machine from the Bear!!!!

Grizzly G0453

Thanks for your input, I build furniture also and I do not expect that any planer will allow you not to sand. I think the price on the Griz is hard to beat. If you look at the Yorkcraft YC-15P it is a carbon copy of the G0453. Do not know who copied who, someone in Taiwan I guess. The problem for me being in Northern California is that Wilke wants $347.00 to ship. There recent flat rate shipping is East of the Mississippi. Now I have to decide if I really need to spend the bucks for a planer with the Spiral Head. I think $775.00 is the best fit for me.

Thanks again for your help,
    Merrill