Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Signing the finished piece

Signing the finished piece

Does anyone have suggestions for methods of placing their signature, name, date, etc. on a finished piece. My pieces are for friends and family so my intent is more for history than anything. I would be interested in suggestions from the pro's also. Thanks.

A while back Wood Magazine had a article on making brass medallions using a photo process that you could then cut out and set in the wood. I have been meaning to try that for a while. Using clip art and or your own Logo it makes a very personal touched.

I bought one of the irons from Rockler a few years ago, Says "Handcrafted By: Ken Deckelman" Then I just usually write the date in pencil before final finish.

Does the branding iron do a "good" job? Seems like it is easy to use? Do you have the electric or external heated one?

I bought an inexpensive branding iron from Brand New and it works extremely well.
    Trees. Tools. Time.

I inscribe each piece in two places, where practical, with something like

Custom made for
    John and Mary Doe
    by Charlie Plesums
    March 2006
    Austin, Texas

One of the places is generally someplace where it can be accessed if they want to show it off... like the back of a drawer. The other place is rather hidden, on a structural member, where a burglar might overlook it.

My preference is to use ink (felt tip for larger items, roller ball for smaller) on the bare wood before finishing, so it penetrates the wood. I occasionally computer print a similar inscription on paper. A light coat of lacquer over the printing "fixes" it enough so it doesn't smear or run. I then cut out the small paper "plaque" and glue it to the bare wood with a thin coat of carpenter's glue. That holds it flat until it is embedded in the finish, normally spray lacquer.

Ralph, I think it does a good job, You just have to let it heat up about a 1/2 hour before use so it is really hot, and if you have multiple things to brand, you need to wait a little between each piece to let the iron get hot again. Takes a little practice to hold it vertically so as not to get the outer edges of the iron touching the wood, I have one like #70508 here:http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?p...9&filter=70508

Mine is the electrically heated one with my name in print. The signature ones are lotso $$$, and I see they also have date attachment now...There is also good pictures in the current catalogue on page 66

I have been leaning toward woodburning freehand. If it is furniture with big flat surfaces, then I actually sign it.

I tried using permanent marker, but the only finish that did not make it smear was waterbased. Didn't like the color it gave. Woodburning is also more permanent.

If the piece comes out great I sign it with my own signature,.....If it is not so great, then I select an SMC member at random and sign their name....many oy you wonderful SMC people have received credit for some of my so-so (at best) work.... Sorry
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have the iron from Rockler that you have to heat. I use a propane torch and it takes about 5 minutes. It also has the date attachment. Been using it for 4 years now and it works very well. I usually brand the bottom or backa of my furniture so it is out of sight.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    If the piece comes out great I sign it with my own signature,.....If it is not so great, then I select an SMC member at random and sign their name....many oy you wonderful SMC people have received credit for some of my so-so (at best) work.... Sorry
    Gee thanks Mark. I'd gladly take credit for some of your "so so" work.

I use a sharpie and put down my name, the species of wood and the date.

Thanks Mark!

At the rate I've been going lately, your scrap box would be an improvement over my stuff. I can use the "boost"!

David

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer

Huntsville, AL (The Sun and Fun Capital of The South)
    "If you believe in yourself and have dedication and pride - and never quit, you'll be a winner. The price of victory is high - but so are the rewards" - - Coach Paul "Bear" Bryant
    Ken Salisbury Passed away on May 1st, 2008 and will forever be in our hearts.

An ever growing number of us use a laser engraver to sign our stuff.

Dave F.

Ralph, Ken gave you some good links - the first one chronicling how I got my brand. It was cheap enough, and combined with a fine tip Sharpie, I think it gives it a nice personal touch. If you go to my photo site linked on my name here, you can see how my furniture looks with the brand.

Have fun, the options are many!