Thread: X31 & LT16HD interim review with a project

X31 & LT16HD interim review with a project

So, this is my attempt at providing an interim update on my Robland X31 combination machine and Laguna LT16HD Bandsaw. I purchased these as a package deal from Laguna about 6 months ago. I decided it would be more interesting if I combined this with a project report so, for this first installment I will cover making a Federal Period style card table mainly from plans published by Steve Latta in FFW # 180, December 2005, as can be seen in picture #1 (FCT1).

I chose some curly cherry I bought at Steve Wall lumber for my primary building material and pine for the brick laid skirt. I decided that I would make veneer to cover the skirt (1/16") and top (3/16") to extend the value of the curly cherry. This first installment will cover most of the construction of the base. I use the X31 to plane one side of the 9+' wide curly cherry flat and then veneer cut on the LT16HD. To make the brick laid section for the skirt I used sections of pine that were about 1' in length and cut to a 22.5* angle at both ends using the sliding table on the X31 (FCT2). I laid these out for a dry fit on top of a full-size pattern I drew on some 3/4" MDF (FCT3). Everything fit perfectly so, I just did a "rubbed" fit using TB3 since it has longer open time.

In the next picture you see the glued up brick laid skirt about to make a trip around the LT16HD. I made a jig for turning the skirt out of some scrap plywood and pine which worked just fine for making this cut. In FCT5 you can see the outside portion of the skirt after completing the cut and before adding the veneer. I was a little concerned about everything coming out nice a square but, as you can see I had no problems. I kept the fall off from this cut so I could use it as a caul when gluing on the veneer face. In picture FCT10 you can see the clamping rig I ended up with in doing the skirt veneering. This worked very well and prevented me from needing to make a caul that wouldn't likely be used again for a long time.

The legs for the table require use of a mortice and tennon joint in one set of legs (back lateral) and saddle joints in the two front legs. Additionally, the back legs require a stop dado to be cut in the legs where they overlap the skirt (see FCT 13s). I used the morticer on the X31 to make the mortices, cut the stop dados and make the saddle joints in the legs (FCT9 & FCT8s)). I really like the morticer on this machine and am constantly finding new opportunities to put it to use. In FCT7 you can see the veneer on the skirt. I soaked the veneer in hot water for about 30 minutes prior to putting it into the bending and gluing jig.

This project also calls for the back legs to be hinged to they can swing out to support the table when the top is opened to full size. This requires you to make two wood hinges to accomplish the task as can be seen in the picture FCT15s taken from the backside of the base. The one in the picture was not my first attempt. The hard part about this is that you have to make certain that the hole you drill for the brass hinge is absolutely 90* to the run of the hinge and that it is also perfectly parallel to the faces (FCT15s) or else when the legs pivot back they will be off plane for the top. FCT 12s shows a frontal view of the base with the legs dry fitted.

So, that's it for the first installment. The machines have been wonderful to use and had few if any shortcomings. The LT16HD bandsaw may be flawless. It has more power than I will likely ever need, tons of resaw capacity and no downfalls that I can figure so far. The X31 is the swiss army knife of woodworking. The sliding table saw function is extremely accurate and smooth. The angle adjustment on the sliding table is a little awkward to adjust but, nothing major. The jointer and planer functions are exceptional with the planer having a steel feed roller and the jointer has proved accurate. The jointer fence is rather large and unwieldy to remove and replace but, I guess that's to be expected in a combination machine (see FCT 11s). I have not used the shaper yet. It comes with a spindle for both 3/4" cutters as well as 11/4" cutters. The morticer is a dream to use and may be one of my favorite tools.

More to come in the next installment: completion of the construction of the table and finishing... Your comments, critiques and suggestions are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Barton; 03-12-2006 at 3:55 PM.

more pics...

and one more...

Thanks, Chris! Nice initial review of the machines and a great start on the project, too! I like the technique you used for the apron...it should be nice and strong and a good substrate for your veneer. I've been considering something "rounded" like this for some time and this just may be the way to go for my future project, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

More picture are supposed to be coming but, SMC says that they are "in progress" and I don't know what that means...

Those are two fine machines Chris, and that table you're making is going to be mighty fine also.
    Thanks for the initial review, and the pics of the in progress table. Good luck with the rest of it.

Nice work, Chris. I need to get my X31 onto something more than a linen press.
    Chris

Hi Chris. cheers form Durango CO.
    great post! found it looking for info on the X31. I just found one with very little use (they say they could never figure it out enough to use all the tools...???); it's on auction from a high school, it's still under $800 and there's about 12 hours left. I'm a newbie woodworker w/ limited space and do not have experience setting something like this up, getting it adjust properly; is it rocket science? from what I've read the X31 is great for a small shop. I'm thinking I can't go wrong if I get it for under $1000, even if I have to drive 8 hours to pick it up. Probably $200 in gas alone hauling my 16' trailer that far. is this something to jump on?

I got a small 13" Rigid planer and a old, old classic 4" joiner, just bought a classic Craftsman 10" table saw that is sturdy and running smooth, but needs some adjustment and love. I have only used the planer thus far (still trying to make space in the garage for tools around the stacked drying slabs from the band saw mill and do not have a cement slab floor, just dirt currently (that's for next summer). I figured I'd start with more low end tools I can afford and gradually replaced as I get more serious about WW. Currently WW for my cabin... making mostly rustic mountain style furniture, countertops, T&G panel, but who knows what I might get into with a machine like this. thoughts on this machine, the price and setting it up?

I dig your table btw!

Steve -
    I've owned an X31 since the late 80's. Depending on what the auction price does in the coming hours that could be an excellent buy. The key will be whether all the parts are there or key things are missing. There is an X31 Yahoo forum which would be worth your while to peruse today. A ton of information on the forum and in the files. A lot of information on setting up the machine and dialing it in. A plus for the machine if purchased at a good price is that a number of the short comings have been corrected by the user's group. An example is the saw blade height fine adjustment. Spend some time in the forum today - it should help you decide on the auction.