Thread: lap tops in coffee shops

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries
    Be careful with smart phones too. Shortly after Darling got her first smartphone she accidentally used her credit card without knowing she was on a hotels wifi. Someone "spying on the router" used her info to buy several expensive guns. I was very pleased with the costumer service Capital One provided, it was not difficult to have the charges removed from our bill. Capital One also followed up with Law Enforcement.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-06-2024 at 4:51 AM.

I see people using laptops in coffee shops frequently. It seems there's a whole class of folks that use these places as remote offices. We were in Denver last week and a guy was set up at the Denver Central Market with a laptop and and big butterfly monitor like the one below. He was wearing noise cancelling headphones and seemed to be hosting a zoom meeting just like he was at the office.

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Just remember that even though they may be in a coffee shop (or similar) using their computer it doesn't mean they are using the shop's WiFi. If out and about I'll use my phone as a hotspot and connect through it. My advice would be to not use a laptop with any public WiFi unless you know exactly how to protect yourself. It doesn't take much for something bad to happen because someone found something that they could use on it.