Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to Find Part for my Tripod

Just wondering.
    Are some of the available knob covers (I think that's what Gitzo is calling them) the right diameter, but the wrong height? If it's the right diameter, you can either have a small gap, or need to trim some excess.

Just a thought.

John
    (who is wondering what he should do with his stash of film cameras)

Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be surprised if a place like B&H didn't have some in the back somewhere.
    Funny you should mention that Tom. Today doing another search with the same terms B&H came up with a couple of hits.

They are listed at over $20+ shipping.

The problem is they list the tripods they fit, but not the size. It may be the last two digits of the numbers; Gitzo D0402.36 Knob Cover for Select Tripods and Gitzo D0402.41 Knob Cover for Select Tripods.

If that is the case, they are likely both too large for my tripod. Tried the chat function but it seemed like it wasn't working.

One of the rings is listed as Special Order. For now my plan is to see if the tape ordered is able to do the job. The heat shrink for fishing rod handles may be acceptable if the tape doesn't work.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This is the site for Gitzo parts: https://www.gitzospares.com/

Not likely to find what you need for such an old tripod, but worth a look.

20240507_163824.jpg

Jim At some point they switched to the tabs instead of the rubber.

Its amazing how well these are built. I would order the part. If the diameter is off a little either way then you can slice it and glue it on. You will probably have to glue it on either way. At the very least you know its most likely the proper durometer and grip feel you originally had.

Take a look at McMaster Carr, their isn't much that they don't have.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Pitman View Post
    This is the site for Gitzo parts: https://www.gitzospares.com/

Not likely to find what you need for such an old tripod, but worth a look.
    Thanks Keith, they make it hard to find a part for an older model from when instead of numbers they used marketing names.

Found some similar tripods and parts, but still not quite the same. The prices for a simple ring nut is ridiculous in my mind. Guess if you need one, you have to pay the piper.

It looks like they have changed how tripods are made compared to how they made them back in the 1970s. Now their top models are made of carbon fiber instead of steel and aluminum.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

The fishing pole handle heat shrink looked promising but the bottom of the page lead me to > https://www.amazon.com/CATTONGUE-GRI...dp/B08CS3Q3Y4/ <

jtk
    This arrived today and was applied to my grip ring (knob). It took a little quick work with a pair of scissors and all is well.

Looks like it will do fine. The 1"X20' option was ordered instead of 2"X10'. It came as two 1"X10' rolls. They were stuck together.

The material has a softer feel to it than the original, which is nice. It gives a better feel in use.

So now out of 20' there is about 19' and 9" left.

Surely something around here to be found that can use a bit of grip on it.

For me, the CATTONGUE is the Cat's Meow.

jtk

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    This arrived today and was applied to my grip ring (knob). It took a little quick work with a pair of scissors and all is well.

Looks like it will do fine. The 1"X20' option was ordered instead of 2"X10'. It came as two 1"X10' rolls. They were stuck together.

The material has a softer feel to it than the original, which is nice. It gives a better feel in use.

So now out of 20' there is about 19' and 9" left.

Surely something around here to be found that can use a bit of grip on it.

For me, the CATTONGUE is the Cat's Meow.

jtk
    If you vacuum seal it and keep it in a drawer at the right temperature away from sunlight . (20'/3"x 50 years) Should last you the next 4000 years. You can splurge and swap it every 25 though and still be good for 2000 years.

NY libraries have maker spaces. Not sure about other states.
    The "kids" at our local version sometimes get a kick out of replicating stuff like that on the 3D scanner & printers. As has been mentioned, just choose a suitable polymer.
    Also, be sure to choose suitably dense fill. Some machines default (or are set) to relatively low density to conserve material and save weight, which would be irrelevant for your app.

Local place charges by weight of material used at cost, and some ridiculously low hourly rate for machine time; depending on machines used.

I take in (donate) my scrap 1/8" & sometimes 1/4" birch ply, and scrap acrylic sheet plastic - they love the thin stuff for the laser cutters/engraver

smt
    Last edited by stephen thomas; 05-16-2024 at 11:33 AM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Schuch View Post
    I picked up a tank of a Manfrotto studio tripod off of FB marketplace for $20. It is by far the sturdiest table saw feed support I have ever owned... after putting a row of roller bearings on the top.
    Wow! Great idea. I have a couple of roller stands that are awkward. I’ll have to think it through but I’m thinking that a good tripod would be better.

Blog Entries
    Make sure it is a good tripod. My Gitzo was made to support a heavier equipment, like a Graflex Speed Graphic 4X5 camera. Some tripods available at the time even struggled with a short telephoto lens.

Looking on ebay there were a lot of old Gitzo tripods. Many without the tilting mount needed for camera work but not supporting out feed rollers.

jtk