Thread: Interesting Millspaugh saw handle

Interesting Millspaugh saw handle

Ran across this interesting saw handle. Patented May 5, 1874 by William Millspaugh (#D7419) design patent. The patent doesn't say anything other than see the drawing. Found a example being sold by Jim Bode for $3000.00. And that's just for the handle itself. See his listing here: https://www.jimbodetools.com/product...7-as-of-apr-10

So here is what I'm pondering: Is the shape trying to use his initials of "W" and "M" or maybe the star for the Clemson Star line of saws. But I keep looking at the pointy areas and notice the angles are all different. I know there are some handles out there that use the back of the blade as a straight edge and can mark 90 or 45 degree angles. Perhaps the pointy areas give different angles? The horns are very long and look like they might hurt.

So, just a crazy design or was there a purpose for the points?

saw handle.jpeg7501-2.jpg

Blog Entries
    It is surprising that it could be patented.

Maybe it was to direct air toward the saw dust to blow it off the line so it would be easier to see. (yeah, that's the ticket)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim, it was a design patent. Still interesting.

Handle is for a very collectible hand saw. Holds the record for highest price hand saw paid at a auction, $5,000.00. About 15 or so known to exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug McKay View Post
    Handle is for a very collectible hand saw. Holds the record for highest price hand saw paid at a auction, $5,000.00. About 15 or so known to exist.
    Yes rare, but I am more interested in why. Why was this design, well, designed? Was it simply to put the designers initials into it, or are the different angles useful for something? If you look at the angles you will see they are all different.
    Usually, patents are for improvements in function or ease of manufacturing. This one however is a design patent. Design patents are to try to keep someone from copying the design, but who would want to copy this one?
    Obviously harder to make than common handles. The panther head handle is an artistic feature, while the thumbhole handles add functionality. This one adds?

Early tool Glam… ‘. and nothing more’. But really interesting odd ball piece. At an auction, it could incite a riot !

From my reading of the (very short) patent description document, the patent is strictly as to the design of the handle. I would expect that if the applicant were attempting to patent any other function, purpose or capability, that would have been spelled out.

I've seen those before. Not in person, mind you. But I think it's just an aesthetic thing. A reason to stand out from all of the other saw makers out there. I can't see much use otherwise.

Which brings up a good point. Perhaps we should all make extremely limited production runs of weird looking saw handles now, so our ancestors 150 years from now can sell them for big bucks. That's assuming, of course, that money is still a thing and wood is legal to own and trade on Kepler-452b.

Saw one in person several decades ago, didn't do anything for me! Seems real skill needed to do a panther or eagle head saw.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.