Thread: Bandsaw Guides :Rotating ceramic

Bandsaw Guides :Rotating ceramic

I note that there are euroguides with ceramic facings. Apparently these rotate as euro guides ordinarily do.
    Other stuff I have read suggests that NO they shouldn't rotate.
    Maybe it doesn't matter either way.....other guide types are either fixed or rotating,blade wear,heat and swarf build up being issues to overcome.
    Anyone had experience with the euro style ceramic guides?

Mine (Laguna) do not rotate during use of the saw. However, it is suggested to manually rotate them from time to time as they begin to groove. Honestly, the thrust guides get so little use with proper tension that i don't really see signs of wear.

The Felder rear ceramic guide does not rotate, if it wears you can rotate it.

Regards, Rod

I have a laguna but also a larger,older saw with euro guides a bit worse for wear which I want to upgrade or repair.
    Although ceramic,the laguna doesn't have euro guides and don't think the felders do either,think they have a four point contact system on each of the lateral guide assemblies.
    So I'm wondering which make of saw may now be using a euro type guide setup with ceramic facings,I expect it would a fairly recent model.

Quote Originally Posted by STUART Robertson View Post
    I have a laguna but also a larger,older saw with euro guides a bit worse for wear which I want to upgrade or repair.
    Although ceramic,the laguna doesn't have euro guides and don't think the felders do either,think they have a four point contact system on each of the lateral guide assemblies.
    So I'm wondering which make of saw may now be using a euro type guide setup with ceramic facings,I expect it would a fairly recent model.
    Most bandsaws with Euro guides can be converted to ceramic guides using a kit from Space Age Ceramics. You can see if they have ones to fit your bandsaw here. Guide Blocks & Thrust Bearings | SpaceAge Ceramics - Part 2

I know I can get something from SAC,those ones are fixed,I'm wanting to know about ceramic euros that rotate in the usual way euros do.

I don't think ceramics rotating at high speed would be very feasible, in my mind. I think maybe what you are looking to find out about may not exist.

Blog Entries
    I have been puzzled by the idea of ceramics being used for machine parts ever since the kids started talking about ceramic skateboard bearings. Ceramics are used in Formula One cars too (or so I have been told).

I did an "upgrade" on a 24 inch Laguna band saw by putting on horseshoe shaped aluminum guides that had ceramic tips. The horseshoe shape made it tricky for ordinary workers to get the alignment just right and they were prone to getting knocked out of alignment, which led to them being damaged.
    Last edited by Maurice Mcmurry; 05-03-2024 at 7:38 PM.

Euro guides are able to rotate,but barely or briefly do as they are not in constant contact.

I had a 16-HD with the ceramic guides. Getting them adjusted was a pain...

Ceramics weren't parallel with each other. I trued them up on a diamond stone, and then milled the backs square. Problem solved.

I'm gonna do something on my FB-600 at some point. It's a bit noisy, and worse if you push hard enough to engage the rear rotating steel guide. Even with hearing protection on, it's almost on par with fingernails on a blackboard.

I may well be looking for hen's teeth...
    There are fixed guides and moving guides...
    Ceramic are usually in the fixed category.
    I read yesterday, but now can't remember where(should have screen shot it) of standard rotating euro guides but with ceramic faces.
    I want to upgrade my existing guides(centauro)by utilizing them as their adjustment is very sturdy and easy.I can modify them to not rotate but if I don't have to do that for any good reason...well, it's one less thing to do.
    If a ceramic guide were to rotate intermittently,particularly the thrust, is it going to act like a grindstone.Might just have to try it...
    I think the question for me rally really is "do ceramic guides have to be fixed,as in not able to move in use".
    At least Felder now have ceramic assemblies ,although complete replacement of upper and lower could be costly.

At 'worst', it might polish the back edge of the blade. I maybe saw a couple tiny sparks on occasion.