Thread: Looking for User Manual or Electric Motor for Lin Mac Mortiser

Looking for User Manual or Electric Motor for Lin Mac Mortiser

The motor on our 1982 Lin Mac CM-127 Hollow Chisel Mortiser has burned out and we are looking for information on the machine or an appropriate motor replacement. We have removed a portion of the motor, but it appears a previous repair job was done to it and the current motor is proving difficult to remove. Any information is appreciated!
    Mortiser 01.jpgMortiser 02.jpgMortiser 08.jpg

Im guessing you can buy a much newer machine for what that motor fix is going to cost you. A 42 year old Taiwanese motor is going a real problem!!! You will have to find what factory that actually really made it for any chance of cross reference, like hunting for hen's teeth.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 05-02-2024 at 10:44 AM.

Last wadkin I saw sell was 800.00 plus had 8 chisels with it. The wadkin was likely 40 years old and irrelevant that it was.

You can probably get the motor rewound/rebuilt.
    May or may not be cost effective...

I don't know about such machines but that looks like a very nice, well-made piece of equipment and I doubt would be cheap to replace with an identical one if that is required compared to a more basic one.
    I was told by my motor repair shop people that rewinding motors under 5 or so HP is not cost-effective but compared to replacing that machine, it could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    I don't know about such machines but that looks like a very nice, well-made piece of equipment and I doubt would be cheap to replace with an identical one if that is required compared to a more basic one.
    I was told by my motor repair shop people that rewinding motors under 5 or so HP is not cost-effective but compared to replacing that machine, it could be.
    It might be since that looks like 1940 technology they copied. But in my experience, first generation Taiwanese machinery was not know as high quality. All they were was cheap with poor tolerances, and low quality castings.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 05-02-2024 at 11:49 PM.