I'm designing my first pieces of furniture and looking for some feedback on these pieces. They're quite simple in style, inspired by the clean look of shaker furniture. I figure this might not only fit in a lot of spaces, but it would also be easier to build. Joinery for most pieces would be mortise and tenon. The drawers might use dovetails for the corners, if I'm feeling ambitious. Otherwise some simple glue-and-screw action is likely.

I had initially anticipated attaching the tops with pocket screws. Dowels with glue could also work. But, then I was thinking about wood movement. I figured maybe a center screw or dowel and some figure-8 fasteners at the corners might be best for the longer sideboard table. Probably the same for the end tables.

I'm curious if I should add a bottom panel to cover the drawer. I know it could keep out bugs and such. It may also add some rigidity. But it would make the design more-complex to execute for my very-green woodworking skills.

Any thoughts on these designs? Good/bad? Any recommendations or suggested tweaks? Do they need a bottom panel, or will the attached top make things plenty rigid? And is the plan for a center screw/dowel + figure-8's the right route to take on fastening the tops?

Sideboard 1.jpgSideboard 2.jpgEnd Table 1.jpgEnd Table 2.jpg