Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
Ed, a hand wheel is nice on a clamping vise. However, this one takes about 2/3 of a turn to tighten or loosen. About 2/3 of a turn and the threads are disengaged so the vise can be opened or closed simply by sliding. Then another 2/3 of a turn to engage the threads again. Pretty neat feature that I have not had on a clamp vise prior. Back when I was shopping I looked at the Grizzly offerings and I liked what I saw, just more money than I wanted to spend.

Rod, what is the dime trick? Have never used a power mortiser before. The chisels and augers appear to be really sharp out of the box. Should I still get one of those diamond cones and hone the chisels before use? Should I polish the exterior of the chisels, like we do for the backs of bench chisels? Cannot imagine using the sharpener that came with the machine. The tool has a tapered square tang for use with a hand brace and appears as though it would not produce a very fine edge.
I didn't know it was a "quick-Vise" that makes things different.
I bought my Griz a several years ago, I was surprised at how much the price increased since I got mine. Looks like $75- $100 per year

As to your other questions, yes.
Hone the outside just like you would flatten the back of a bench chisel. Slick, smooth and polished make for smoother operations. The little cone sharpeners are nice and keep all four faces ground evenly.
I'm guessing the dime trick has something to do with how far the auger protrudes from the chisel but I'll let others explain.
I just go by feel.