Thread: Here's What It's Like To Be In The Direct Path Of An EF3 Tornado (See Video)

Here's What It's Like To Be In The Direct Path Of An EF3 Tornado (See Video)

This BNSF train crew caught this video. Whenever there is a tornado warning for a specific area train traffic is stopped. It's better to have a parked train knocked off the tracks than a rolling one. Damage is minor in comparison. In high wind situations they sometimes take these precautions as well. The conductor videoed this funnel cloud as it approached and they took a direct hit. Fortunately the bullet proof glass did it's job. Cracked but held. They were safe in a 215 ton locomotive but it would not have been without it's moments where they were wondering. Especially when they got down in the nose. This was near Waverly Nebraska.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0f4wA8vB9jY

DId you see the the house (visible through the little trees) as the tornado approached the train. ...it got obliterated...turned into matchsticks.
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

Did one of the rail cars get knocked over? They were talking about a car getting knocked over. They certainly were not going anywhere for a while until a crew came out to clear the tracks and inspect the train. I would assume they needed another locomotive to lead the train that didn't have broken windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Did one of the rail cars get knocked over? They were talking about a car getting knocked over. They certainly were not going anywhere for a while until a crew came out to clear the tracks and inspect the train. I would assume they needed another locomotive to lead the train that didn't have broken windows.
    On that youtube link above, scroll down directly below the Subscribe button. It starts out with "I am a 27-year conductor with the same railroad company." and you will see more details in his description when you click on "more"

It's remarkable how calm they were.
    I read recipes the same way I read science fiction. I get to the end and I think, "Well, that’s not going to happen."

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    I think there were several cars knocked over, and trees and debris on the tracks. If you google it there are there are other photos and videos showing more of the aftermath.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Chance in Iowa View Post
    It's remarkable how calm they were.
    Kind of ironic. Sounds like a train and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I think there were several cars knocked over, and trees and debris on the tracks. If you google it there are there are other photos and videos showing more of the aftermath.
    The cars knocked over were most likely empties, not loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    The cars knocked over were most likely empties, not loaded.
    Agreed, empties are most vulnerable. That and double stack containers and auto racks. The high profile and weight often being lower in comparison to many other types of loads.